Screen works, now phone is overheating !!!! It is too hot to touch!

shedroid

Reaction score
Oy my TB! I am getting grey hairs!

So, I left phone to charge ..just gave up really, waiting for someone to reply to my plea for help. No one did, so I went to try again and YES! It turned on and the screen worked!

New problem, phone is so hot I can barely hold it. I immediately uninstalled several apps, cleaned up caches, killed all programs non essential and phone is still hot. My over heating app has informed me that it is 10 degrees away from being a very dead phone.

What the heck is going on?? Is there anyway to cool it down other then turning it off?:icon_eek:

geoff5093

Reaction score
I would turn the phone off and charge it while the phones off, if it continues to be really hot even after a half hour or so then something is wrong during charging that is causing the battery to overheat, and it could be overcharging the battery. If it cools down, then it was something on the phone itself causing it to heat up, in which case you could always try as a last resort to restore your phone.

I don't recall, is your phone rooted with a custom ROM? If so, if you use SetCPU or something similar check to make sure the CPU speed isn't cranked up extremely high. Also check to see if you have poor coverage, I know when I have poor coverage and something is trying to download data the phone gets very hot as the radio is working at full power trying to communicate with the network.

OP
shedroid

shedroid

Reaction score
Screen is black again .. :eek:( Why do the TB gods hate me??

I would turn the phone off and charge it while the phones off, if it continues to be really hot even after a half hour or so then something is wrong during charging that is causing the battery to overheat, and it could be overcharging the battery. If it cools down, then it was something on the phone itself causing it to heat up, in which case you could always try as a last resort to restore your phone.

I don't recall, is your phone rooted with a custom ROM? If so, if you use SetCPU or something similar check to make sure the CPU speed isn't cranked up extremely high. Also check to see if you have poor coverage, I know when I have poor coverage and something is trying to download data the phone gets very hot as the radio is working at full power trying to communicate with the network.

First of all, thank you very much for responding to my post. I truly do appreciate it.

Here is what happened ... I immediately went and did a batch delete of nearly all apps on my phone. I am app obsessed and have basics now. The phone cooled down as I was doing that.. which obviously made me think I did have too many apps on there.

Phone worked fine, screen worked, all buttons functional, apps running . ...all was well in shedroid's tb world.

Then the phone died, ran out of battery actually because I got caught up cooking. So, I plugged it in and let it fully charge (it was not hot)

Right now, I am looking at the phone reminding me of all bazillion notifications I have but can't see as the screen is black again. :(

My phone is not rooted .. I don't know what to do ? ..

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it sounds like something in the charging circuit or a bad battery. i will see about finding someone that knows more about that than me.

i know on my tbolt it used to get hot drain battery in like an hour . i would replace the battery and be good to go for another 6 months or so

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First of all, thank you very much for responding to my post. I truly do appreciate it.

Here is what happened ... I immediately went and did a batch delete of nearly all apps on my phone. I am app obsessed and have basics now. The phone cooled down as I was doing that.. which obviously made me think I did have too many apps on there.

Phone worked fine, screen worked, all buttons functional, apps running . ...all was well in shedroid's tb world.

Then the phone died, ran out of battery actually because I got caught up cooking. So, I plugged it in and let it fully charge (it was not hot)

Right now, I am looking at the phone reminding me of all bazillion notifications I have but can't see as the screen is black again. :(

My phone is not rooted .. I don't know what to do ? ..

Here on Justin92's request. When you say "I am looking at the phone reminding me of all bazillion notifications I have but can't see as the screen is black again.", what do you mean? It seems that the phone has been functioning (other than frying) normally but this statement leads me to believe it isn't even booting or functioning normally.

Geoff5093's suggestion of charging with power off is SPOT ON good advice. Your battery will charge properly and fully, under no additional stress from the phone's functions stealing power away from the charge cycle, it won't overheat (under normal circumstances), and you'll start on a clean slate. Charging with power off will be the least stressful charge the battery can receive and if things are working as expected, the battery will get warm, but not HOT! If you have a thermometer that you can tape to the back of the battery and leave it on it to read temperature (or if you have a point and shoot infrared thermometer like this Raytek Laser Sight Thermometer -20 to 932 degrees F MT6 Free USA shipping!! on eBay!, tell us what temperature it gets to when it's at its hottest. A digital cooking thermometer with alarm would be perfect since you can set the temperature for the alarm to say, 130 degrees. As he said, if it overheats while charging I would agree 100% with him that "something is wrong during charging that is causing the battery to overheat, and it could be overcharging the battery".

At that point, I'd go with Justin82's suggestion and try a different battery. Batteries do get old, they do fail, and sometimes they do it prematurely. It may or may not be due to anything you have done, but if it's overheating while simply charging, AND if it's overheating while operating with a NORMALLY LOW load, then the battery is in the process of self-destruct and you should avoid using it any further. A battery that's in a Thermal Runaway can become dangerous and can start fires or burn you. Please don't get me wrong, there may be NOTHING wrong with your battery and the troubleshooting above should tell you for sure, but if there is any indication it IS the battery, remove it from the house.

Please report back immediately with any information you feel could be helpful in us troubleshooting together.

Good luck!
:biggrin:

OP
shedroid

shedroid

Reaction score
Update on TB drama-still no screen and phone full charge :(

Here on Justin92's request. When you say "I am looking at the phone reminding me of all bazillion notifications I have but can't see as the screen is black again.", what do you mean? It seems that the phone has been functioning (other than frying) normally but this statement leads me to believe it isn't even booting or functioning normally.

Geoff5093's suggestion of charging with power off is SPOT ON good advice. Your battery will charge properly and fully, under no additional stress from the phone's functions stealing power away from the charge cycle, it won't overheat (under normal circumstances), and you'll start on a clean slate. Charging with power off will be the least stressful charge the battery can receive and if things are working as expected, the battery will get warm, but not HOT! If you have a thermometer that you can tape to the back of the battery and leave it on it to read temperature (or if you have a point and shoot infrared thermometer like this Raytek Laser Sight Thermometer -20 to 932 degrees F MT6 Free USA shipping!! on eBay!, tell us what temperature it gets to when it's at its hottest. A digital cooking thermometer with alarm would be perfect since you can set the temperature for the alarm to say, 130 degrees. As he said, if it overheats while charging I would agree 100% with him that "something is wrong during charging that is causing the battery to overheat, and it could be overcharging the battery".

At that point, I'd go with Justin82's suggestion and try a different battery. Batteries do get old, they do fail, and sometimes they do it prematurely. It may or may not be due to anything you have done, but if it's overheating while simply charging, AND if it's overheating while operating with a NORMALLY LOW load, then the battery is in the process of self-destruct and you should avoid using it any further. A battery that's in a Thermal Runaway can become dangerous and can start fires or burn you. Please don't get me wrong, there may be NOTHING wrong with your battery and the troubleshooting above should tell you for sure, but if there is any indication it IS the battery, remove it from the house.

Please report back immediately with any information you feel could be helpful in us troubleshooting together.

Good luck!
:biggrin:

1) Thank you Justin92 for calling in the expert I appreciate it truly ...I am in the middle of nowhere and getting to a verizon store, or any store is difficult.

2)FoxKat-Ok what I meant .. Say phone is off, and I push power .. I feel the initial vibrate of it turning on, then I hear the thunder that "usually" is paired with the first TB screen, but I don't even get the white HTC screen, basically the phone works just fine..except for the face that the screen itself is black. The only clue that it is working is if the volume is turned up, I can hear messages being delivered, and email which is kind of odd because I have those on manual. Anyway, phone is not hot anymore at all, and it is full charged. No, screen though it is black. The red and green lights work at the top, and the bottom home/menu/backarrow/search buttons do light up when they are supposed to.

Now, there is something I did not mention and it didn't occur to me they might be connected, they might not be but just in case .. about month and half ago I cracked the screen, there was two places in San Antonio that would even touch a TB. I went with the higher priced one, but only because they were a bit on the friendlier side. Paid $100, and when I got phone back I knew something was wrong right away. There was a gap between the screen and the casing. A big gap!! Also, the screen had these lines through it you could see when it was powered down. Not to mention try and text or use the keyboard and you would be tapping any letter five times to get phone to register what the heck you were doing. I made it to my car door, turned around and asked what the heck ..(I was polite) ... he explained that since it is not the same screen Verizon would use I should expect things like that, and the gap was nothing to worry about it happens when you replace screens.

I am an idiot, I believe him ... why would he lie ? .... Two days later the screen does not crack, it shatters! It was in a case in my purse (small purse, no a lot of junk) I pull it out, and go to check weather and ...no more screen. Now he did say there was a 90 day warranty so I took it back and he told me firmly that NO the warranty covered defective equipment but obviously the equipment was fine, it was me that broke the phone. I explained it was in my purse and not moving, and that I thought the gap was the issue .. he said "Oh, well you women have so much stuff jammed in your purses it is easy to mess up your screen. Yes, we can fix it but it is $100" ..

I told him I would see about that ... I NEVER leave bad reviews .. I am super nice, but I sent an email to company expressing my sadness in how I was treated. To my surprise I got an email back, smart me had taken pics the first time I got my phone back and once they saw pics they decided to fix it again for free.

Now this came to mine when I was looking at my phone, there is not a gap like there was before ... not at all. The screen itself though seems a bit "off" ..I don't know how to describe it. I don't think that you should push on the home key and see your screen move in right? Like it is loose or something?

Am I making sense ?

Ok so now

Phone is fully charged-

Phone is NOT hot-

Screen is dark, you can see nothing except when bottom buttons light up-

Now what do I do? I don't even know how to turn it off and on really, I press the power key and if the screen was on I have options for powering off, airplane, and restart, but since I can't see I am having to guess ...

Is there a hard reset button somewhere ?? Or should I even do that ?

:(

madman84

Reaction score
Actually there is a way to cool it down without turning it off. There is an app called Cool Down Phone. I tried it and it worked ok for me

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Pull the battery as far as forcing it to turn off goes... but at this point I'd... get a new phone basically.

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the "business" that replaced your Thunderbolt's screen?

rbw62

Reaction score
See if the fan is working, pull batt cover off, look above batt, little silver thing that spins is a fan.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
See if the fan is working, pull batt cover off, look above batt, little silver thing that spins is a fan.

That's not a fan. It's the vibration module.

Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, from my hTc Thunderbolt

rbw62

Reaction score
Hey that vibration module sure blows air around dont it?

orangespot

Reaction score
This is happening to my Droid 1. Black screen, and overheating. Not the battery, but above the battery where the other section is.
also i can tell it works, just no screen.
and there is also a blinking red light. solid red when I have it charging.

I have another droid, so I've tried switching batteries. I've tried switching the sd card, since they are rooted differently. But to no avail.

i'd like to get access to the phone for a couple reasons. One being that I had rooted and tweaked it to perfection. It also has all my contacts and notes etc...

I'm trying to get android screencast but haven't had any luck installing it, even on my good phone.

I've read so many stories about people having this problem but nobody has managed to solve it. WTF?

kparks

Reaction score
Tallica said:
That's not a fan. It's the vibration module.

Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, from my hTc Thunderbolt

Hahaha its a mini silver fan. Lmfao