Screen won't turn off

Oatmeal

Reaction score
My screen will not turn off for any reason.
I set it to the 15 second timer and waited for about 5 minute. nothing
Pressing the power button does not make it turn off, but holding it makes the standard Power off/Airplane/Restart menu appear, so it isn't just broken.
If I download an app to turn the screen off, it turns off for about 1/4 a second and then turns back on.
I've tried wakelock detector, but it doesn't give me any apps keeping the screen on.
I've restarted it a few times, did a hard reset, and I even did a factory reset.

No idea what's causing this.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I concur with him^. If it performed the same after a full factory data reset, I'm going to choose Replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jseah

Reaction score
This may seem pretty obvious, but do you have Smart Stay turned on? This is the option where the screen will stay on as long as the phone detects you looking at it. Try turning that off and see if the screen shuts off.

OP
O

Oatmeal

Reaction score
This may seem pretty obvious, but do you have Smart Stay turned on? This is the option where the screen will stay on as long as the phone detects you looking at it. Try turning that off and see if the screen shuts off.

Yes, I've disabled smart stay and every feature under it.
I've managed to kinda have some success with an app called Screen Standby, but occasionally I can't turn the screen back on, and I'm not sure if it's as effective since it just turns the screen off. If I have youtube or anything open when the screen goes off, I can still pause/play/change the video for example.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem you described may be an indication that there is a hardware problem somewhere if the reset did nothing to help. Trying to "patch" the problem with an app isn't the best answer IMO as something else could go wrong in the future. I would follow the previous suggestions of returning it.

dillonfamor

Reaction score
same problem

I've had this same exact issue for over a month now. It's killing my battery. I just pull up a black image and hope I dont bump the screen with my hand in my pocket. My phone is rooted also.:mad: