Screen wont fade out?!

MassAppeal16

Reaction score
I have my backlight display set to 30 seconds in order to save battery. However most of the time it wont completely go black. It dims a bit, but stays on. Im sure this is killing my battery, so does anyone know how to fix it?

dddjames

Reaction score
I have no answers for you, but thought I'd let you know that this is also happening to me.

Regardless of what I have my timeout set at, it now refuses to timeout at all. I can't pinpoint exactly when this happened, but it feels like it occurred in the last day.

hacku

Reaction score
This happened to me once. The screen refused to "sleep". Did a battery pull and that seems to have fixed it.

Good luck!

cledford3

Reaction score
This was happening to me - same symptoms. The screen went to sleep fine for the first several days - then stopped. It stopped after the update, but I'm not blaming the update. I did a factory reset and the problem went away. I assume it was either software I installed, or something goofy with the OS. I'm leaning towards the OS as I hadn't installed anything for a day or 2 before the issue started. The only thing I know I did that might have caused the issue is I *stopped* using the screen lock.

-Calvin

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try using Screebl. It will time you out at 30 seconds if you set it up that way and is great for saving battery. It's free, in the Market. I say if you like it then pay the man some money, he does good work.

dddjames

Reaction score
Battery pull resolved this for me. Thanks for the idea hacku!

grimbergen

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I had the same problem -- had the phone for 2 days and fade/lock was working fine until a few hours ago (but I got the update yesterday).

Power off/restart fixed it.

mmseng

Reaction score
Happened to me recently also. At first I just played around with the Applications -> Development settings and got it fixed but the next day the problem came back. Then I just rebooted the phone and it's fixed again... for now.

wado66

Reaction score
I have a Thunderbolt with the same issue. The application causing the problem for me is VZ Navigator. I used Advanced Task Killer to kill this app and also went under, Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and did a "Force Stop" to kill this task. And it fixes it for about 30 minutes. Then I look and the dang application is running again. I emailed HTC and they told me to-- Please press Home > MENU and then tap Settings > Display and adjust the display timeout settings for your device. Soft reset your phone by powering it off, removing the battery, waiting ten seconds, and then reinserting the battery and restarting the device.

If your device continues to experience display timeout issues, I recommend you restore it to its factory default settings by performing a factory date reset. This will permanently erase all installed programs and data files on your phone; you will therefore want to first back up all files to your storage card or to a third party application from the Android Market. Use HTC Sync to back up Outlook contacts and calendar files, or Google Sync to back up your Google contacts and calendar. Calendar events are color-coded: green for Outlook, blue for Google, and orange for Exchange. You can back up text and picture messages by forwarding them to an email address. It will not affect files on your storage card.

To perform a factory data reset, please press Home > MENU and then tap Settings > SD & phone storage > Factory data reset > Reset phone > Erase everything.

If your device's issue persists, I respectfully recommend you contact your carrier for further assistance.

Wow, that is some answer. As if they didn't give a crap if they have an issue with their phone. "Sorry sir, just erase everything and start over. See if that will work."