Screen under Sun

highbl00d

Reaction score
is it me, or does the Motorola droid's screen have almost NO visibility while in the sun??

naman919

Reaction score
unlike BB's, and i'm 99% sure i'm right, the Droid lacks a light sensor which will brighten the screen when under bright light, i.e. the sun.

Blackberrys have one located in the LED on the top of the phone.

My Tour (Still waiting to get my Droid for Christmas) goes to 100% brightness then will fade back to my set level when get in the car.

I've read the Droid, at 100% even, is pretty bad in the sun.

But like the original response, turn up the brightness and hope for a not so sunny day :/

LordKastle

Reaction score
Yeah..easily fixed. Especially with the power management widgit that comes default on the phone.

I usually keep it off/gray but when there is a small glare, turn it on to Green 1...and if that is not enough Green 2. Won't ever be an issue.

otaku

Reaction score
unlike BB's, and i'm 99% sure i'm right, the Droid lacks a light sensor which will brighten the screen when under bright light, i.e. the sun.

Blackberrys have one located in the LED on the top of the phone.

My Tour (Still waiting to get my Droid for Christmas) goes to 100% brightness then will fade back to my set level when get in the car.

I've read the Droid, at 100% even, is pretty bad in the sun.

But like the original response, turn up the brightness and hope for a not so sunny day :/

Gotta disagree with you there, my Droid automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on ambient light.

Settings->Sound and Display->Brightness
Check the Automatic brightness checkbox!

EDIT: and i tested it, the droid's light sensor is near the LED just like the BB.

OP
H

highbl00d

Reaction score
ahhh grasshoppa.. I must learn..LoL whats green 1 and 2?

naman919

Reaction score
Gotta disagree with you there, my Droid automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on ambient light.

Settings->Sound and Display->Brightness
Check the Automatic brightness checkbox!

EDIT: and i tested it, the droid's light sensor is near the LED just like the BB.

Awesome! Thanks! So do you need the widget that one poster is referring too or will it boost it automatically without it?

otaku

Reaction score
Works independent of the widget, it's not turned on automatically by default and I think that's why most people miss it. I found it a week or so ago and turned it on, seems to work about as well as my old BB.

naman919

Reaction score
another +1 for the Droid (or at least += hahahah)

Is is really that bad in sun compared to a blackberry? remember i have a newer BB. Not talking the old curves. So it does do pretty well.

brianr0131

Reaction score
Yeah..easily fixed. Especially with the power management widgit that comes default on the phone.

I usually keep it off/gray but when there is a small glare, turn it on to Green 1...and if that is not enough Green 2. Won't ever be an issue.

+1 on this for sure.....gets you bettery battery life as well.

LordKastle

Reaction score
When I say green 1 and green 2 I just mean the power management widgit settings for the brightness. On the widget besides being able to turn on Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, and Sync there is a brightness option. When it's gray it defaults to being on the lowest level. I never have an issue with it on gray/off when I am inside.

When you click on it to turn the brightness level up it turns it green for on. By green 1 -- I just mean the first setting for brightness. And green 2 is the higher level.