Screen turns off during phone call then will not wake up until hang up

Tim K

Reaction score
I am experiencing most of the same issues with the screen blacking out and locking (only sliding the keyboard unlocks it). Happens with a majority of my outgoing phonecalls locking up as soon as I dial...which is a real pain when calling voicemail or an automated system where you have to enter extensions!

Lets hope Motorola / Google gets this fixed fast.

jamsesh

Reaction score
Update: Problem solved!!! I went back to the Verizon store to talk to some techs there about it. They had never heard of the problem before and were shocked to see the phone blank out using the method I described to you earlier. The store manager, who also owns a droid, came and talked to me. We did the test with his personal device and the phone never blanked out. Also tried a brand new droid with no problems. He figures there are defective sensors out there causing the problem.

They swapped me with a new droid, synced everything back to the phone. This is important to note, because the new device was set up with the exact same applications, settings, everything. It was identical to my phone in every way except for the new hardware. I took it outside for a quick test and didn't have the problem! Woo hoo! To me, this confirms absolutely that the sensor in my old device was defective. They're going to send the old one back for testing and hopefully improve quality control of the proximity sensors.

In short, if you are having the same problem and none of the other suggestions work (remove certain apps, auto bright control etc), then your sensor is defective! Take it back and get a new one!

Cheers

mloewen

Reaction score
I set my screen timeout longer. Have not tested it.
Oh by the way is the sensor on the top left of screen?

bgreen

Reaction score
I have had my driod for 3 days, the phone setting worked fine - but then today it started disappearing as soon as I pressed the CALL button. I saw all the posts, and realized that the sensor was being blocked by the screen cover I had on. I never took off the cover it came with, and the corner was peeling down so must have been blocking the sensor. As soon as I took it off the problem dissapeared. I bought the sticker covers - hope they dont cause any problems!

Anyway, just wanted to share my experiences on how this issue was fixed on my driod.

Hope it doesn't come back!

Jimbo

Reaction score
I was having this problem with the screen blanking out during a call and nothing but a battery pull would turn the screen back on. I finally took my phone back today for a replacement. Within an hour of using the replacement phone I am having the problem again - 3 battery pulls so far in 3 hours. I feel like Ih ave my storm back - maybe worse.

The only change I have now made is I do not allow the phone to auto control the brightness - to see if that helps - it did not on my last phone.

smokinfish

Reaction score
Try screebl it's an app that lets you change the value of the phone's angle so it stays on for the entire call or when you set it down.

my 2c

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I was having this problem with the screen blanking out during a call and nothing but a battery pull would turn the screen back on. I finally took my phone back today for a replacement. Within an hour of using the replacement phone I am having the problem again - 3 battery pulls so far in 3 hours. I feel like Ih ave my storm back - maybe worse.

The only change I have now made is I do not allow the phone to auto control the brightness - to see if that helps - it did not on my last phone.
are you running any kind of task killer app? Advanced Task Killer maybe?

crankygypsy

Reaction score
could be coincidence since i didn't immediately realize it was working correctly, but i had the same problem until i uninstalled Google Sky Maps.

zbatz

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem. I purchased my phone from Best Buy though, do I bring it there or directly to a Verizon Wireless store for service ? Any help is much appreciated.

Jimbo

Reaction score
"are you running any kind of task killer app? Advanced Task Killer maybe?"

No task killer app running. Actually minimal apps running. I just took the second phone that I received yesterday back today for another one as the top of the slider rocked and was loose. Very annoying when typing on the touch screen.

I will post if the same blanking problem occurs with this phone as well.

hardcore.mike

Reaction score
i had similar problem, but the only time was with voicemail. when i would try and type in my password, the screen would go black, id shake R7 (my droid), it would come back on, then as soon as i tried to touch screen again, it would go back to sleep...

i got around problem by putting the 3 second pause and my password, so now it puts it in automatically.

cheers

mike

eubanks

Reaction score
no response

I was updating a contact in my phone for the ATF of all people. When I thought I had ended the editing process, it actually called the ATF. Then the phone key pad came up with the red button to end the call, but the call would not end no matter how many times I pushed the red end call button. Fortunately they finally hung up when no one answered them. Anyone have this issue?

bikerboy

Reaction score
The black screen while on call still on for me, sometimes i will re cover and then uncover the light sensor, and the screen will come back, but today it didn't, i tried twice, it didn't untill i pressed the back button, and ofcourse hanged up, weird, anyone goit any solution for it yet ?
Thanks

djgriffin

Reaction score
screen locked during call

I am having the same problem, talked to the verizon store where the rep told me to push the on/off button to wake the screen, this doesn't work, but sometimes sliding the phone open does. However, I have had to remove battery and reset several times.
I was told there would be an update on December 11 from Verizon. Anybody know about the update?

On Droids

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, talked to the verizon store where the rep told me to push the on/off button to wake the screen, this doesn't work, but sometimes sliding the phone open does. However, I have had to remove battery and reset several times.
I was told there would be an update on December 11 from Verizon. Anybody know about the update?

3rd 'sticky' in the this tech issue section has Dec 11 update info

Last edited: