Screen Tearing on Droid.

MadDroidTX

Reaction score
I finally got a Droid yesterday, and I have to say that I absolutely love it, and not just because I recently switched from AT&T's deplorable network LOL. I really havent experienced any problems thus far, and witht he OTA update rolling out over the next couple of days I am more than confident in my purchase. There is one issue I would like some light shed upon, if possible. I have noticed that there is some screen tear that happens while navigating. Most notably while pulling up the Add to Home screen menu, and while pulling up the touch keypad in browser. This doesent happen every time but it does happen with some frequency. Is this something that anyone else is experiencing. If so, should I just wait for the OTA or should I exchange the device for a new one? Thanks for any helop in advance.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Screen Tear

I dont know what Screen Tearing is... but it sounds like you should go to the store and see if you see the same thing in their model. If not return it... it's not a known flaw.

I finally got a Droid yesterday, and I have to say that I absolutely love it, and not just because I recently switched from AT&T's deplorable network LOL. I really havent experienced any problems thus far, and witht he OTA update rolling out over the next couple of days I am more than confident in my purchase. There is one issue I would like some light shed upon, if possible. I have noticed that there is some screen tear that happens while navigating. Most notably while pulling up the Add to Home screen menu, and while pulling up the touch keypad in browser. This doesent happen every time but it does happen with some frequency. Is this something that anyone else is experiencing. If so, should I just wait for the OTA or should I exchange the device for a new one? Thanks for any helop in advance.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
by screen tear do you mean rendering lag?

wildrage

Reaction score
I've been on forums for a long time, and this is the first time that I have ever heard of the term 'screen tear'

OP
MadDroidTX

MadDroidTX

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusing terminology,screen tearing is what you would use in video game language LOL. What I mean is some times when I bring up the add to home screen menu a bit of the home screen texture shows through the little menu. Sometimes this also happens with the keypad. I guess it could also be classified as render lag.Also, my keypad lags from time to time. Thx for the replies.

JayMonster

Reaction score
That is not actually what screen tearing means, but I get your point, and basically it is lag you are experiencing. (Though honestly, I have yet to have any lag with the keyboard). Will the update fix it? Well, I guess that depends on what is causing the lag. I very rarely see any lag on the droid unless I am opening and closing multiple apps one after the other in tight succession (and I rarely do that). There are "stability" fixes for the OS in the OTA update, so by that definition it could improve the situation, but I don't think there is any way to say with any certainty until you try it after the update.

OP
MadDroidTX

MadDroidTX

Reaction score
I guess youre right, its not technically screen tearing but rather lagging. I guess ill just wait to see how itr goes after the update, still have plenty of time to return if its a hardware problem.