Screen shut off during phone usage

jibeho

Reaction score
I am having a problem during phone calls to automated services. These calls ask for information to be keyed after prompts. Often during these calls the screen will go blank. I press the power button to turn on the screen - it does for a second then goes blank - repeat -repeat screen will not stay on, automated system times out.

VZ support says it must be a third party APP which is conflicting with the phone and I should delete the apps to resolve problem. What is the purpose of thois sophisticated phone if I can't use third party apps if I actually want to use the phone function?

Anbody have this problem?

screen setting is 2 minutes.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
it could well be a third party app that's causing it. also, when you're on a call and need to wake up the screen all you have to do is move the phone, accelerometer will turn it back on.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Might be a problem with your sensor. Do you have any apps that work against the normal function of the phone?

OP
J

jibeho

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. IMy phone has a sluggish accelerometer as it is slow to rotate and I often have to shake the device to get the screen to come on while on a hone call and need to enter a code.

The VZ help pointed to a possible third party app affecting the phone and suggesting deleting alll apps to test. So I should go a month without apps to confirm? I keep very few apps running as I always use a task manger to shut off apps when finished.

To me it seems more like a conflict between sleep mode and phone mode.

Beginning to think the Nexus is best as a small tablet and use a phone for a phone.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I realize this thread is about the nexus, but I had this experience with the D1. I found I could not hold the phone in any position other than flat. As long as I held it flat, the screen would never go out. Still did it even after all the updates and factory resets over the 2 years that I've owned it. I never did contact verizon about it as that was about the only thing weird with that phone. I think it was an accelerometer problem.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds like hardware issue. The Nexus does switch orientation fairly slow, this is a known "problem" with this phone. As for it sleeping when pulled away from your head on a phone call I never had a problem. So to me it sounds like hardware and you should maybe try harder to get a replacement.

As for the app, what app did they say to stop or remove?

OP
J

jibeho

Reaction score
They told me to remove all APPS that use phone info. - which is, to my surprise, most of the apps.

usefulidiot127

Reaction score
I am having a problem during phone calls to automated services. These calls ask for information to be keyed after prompts. Often during these calls the screen will go blank. I press the power button to turn on the screen - it does for a second then goes blank - repeat -repeat screen will not stay on, automated system times out.

VZ support says it must be a third party APP which is conflicting with the phone and I should delete the apps to resolve problem. What is the purpose of thois sophisticated phone if I can't use third party apps if I actually want to use the phone function?

Anbody have this problem?

screen setting is 2 minutes.

Got a screen protector? (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...n-wont-turn-after-phone-call.html#post2112348)