Screen scratches too easily ...

tc3

Reaction score
Nothing majorly bad but I noticed small light scratches when I hold the phone in the sun at the right angle. You have to look for them but they are there.....right where I use my thumb to scroll up and down. A screen shouldn't scratch that easily...not from a finger.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

mkjellgren

Reaction score
According to corning's website (the maker of gorilla glass), the tbolt does in fact have gorilla glass. If that is true, your screen should not be scratching that easily. Are you sure they are scratches?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Wow, the screen is made from Gorilla glass? Hah, that's really encouraging. My droid 1's screen (using as an additional family plan line) has 0 scratches since the day I bought it in 2009. Very nice!

smokiedabong

Reaction score
If you have sand or other type of tough material dust on your finger you will scratch the screen .

bhall238

Reaction score
I used the Zagg screen protector on the Droid I and am using it now (not the same one) on the Tbolt. I feel comfortable recommending that one.

cpjr

Reaction score
Mine has been naked thrown in my pocket since released, zero scratches.

audioman42

Reaction score
Your finger didn't scratch it. It was most likely a tiny grain of sand.

bhall238

Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked at the website, Gorilla Glass. There is no way your finger scratched the glass unless you have diamond finger tips :). Seriously you must have had some sort of serious grit or else it got scratched some other way.

smokey1336

Reaction score
..................A tiny grain of sand................ Then gorilla glass really isnt that great if a tiny grain of sand can take it out look at some the scratch test performed on the Droid X key,razor blade, steel pick didnt hurt it I guess ill hold out for the next new thing thanks for the input on the screen scratches:icon_eek:

ezekiel2000

Reaction score
..................A tiny grain of sand................ Then gorilla glass really isnt that great if a tiny grain of sand can take it out look at some the scratch test performed on the Droid X key,razor blade, steel pick didnt hurt it I guess ill hold out for the next new thing thanks for the input on the screen scratches:icon_eek:

You know that the droid X also uses a Gorilla Glass screen right? The screen is tough. About as tough as it gets as a matter of fact but come on, it's not Wolverine, it's not going to heal itself. Have realistic expectations and you'll be fine.

bhall238

Reaction score

What scratch test using a razor blade or steel pick are you talking about? [video=youtube;2p-iKIWuRms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p-iKIWuRms"]YouTube - Motorola Droid X Scratch Test[/video]

That was done with a Zagg screen protector in place.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I tried to scratch a Gorilla Glass screen with a key once and I couldn't . The alloy of a key has a hardness on Mohs scale of 3.5 , a steel knife 5 , a steel file 5.5 , the glass screen is around 6 so it's hard to be scratched with a softer material like a key or knife , but silicium or quartz ( elements form which a grain of sand can be made ) have a hardness of 7 , porcelain also 7 , some ceramics get up to 8 , some jewelery stones 8-9 , diamond 10 . All the materials above 6.5 can easily scratch the screen .

flipteg

Reaction score
keys, razor blades and steel picks vs a tiny grain of sand have very little to do in their ability to scratch.

in the Mohs hardness scale, a mineral is more likely to scratch another that is the same or softer. i don't know where Gorilla Glass is on that scale but glass is i think at hardess of 6 or 7. most common metals are below that at around 4 or 5.

on the other hand, there are minerals and crystallines in sand that have a hardness of 9's. diamond is at 10 on the Mohs hardness scale.

this is why a lot of those phone vs knife videos on Youtube do not really tell anything.

ipawd1

Reaction score
Obviously people just say "screw screen protectors"

thats exactly why you have scratches.