Screen repeatedly shuts off

vicksikand

Reaction score
Now do we have any D2G users who are not having problems with the in pocket detection sensor? If yes then I think my wife and I will exchange our phones; however if this issue is not batch specific and all phones have this problem then I guess I would go with a different Droid phone.

cavemanbangs

Reaction score
D2G
I too am having this issue - I've had my phone for about a week and love it.

It's just a small issue, but annoying

this isn't the same issue completely - but has some things in common
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/305791
hope its not related

because my phone is new and i have no clue how the phone acted before the update, im wondering if others had the same problem before they updated

im scared if this is an issue that will get worse over time

i disabled the pocket feature and it didn't help ( to tell you the truth im not sure what it dose - even when it was on and i stuck it in my pocket it didn't turn the screen off, if i cover it with my hand it doesn't change anything either )

my family has 3 D2G all bought at the same time and mine is the only one that seems to do this ..

** my issue details **
using an email client gmail, yahoo or on facebook -> let the phone lock (normal blank screen, app still up)

hit the power button unlock the phone tap the screen with the app still up -then the screen will turn off and ill be locked out again (randomly happens)
"i don't really notice this happing unless im using an app default to the phone or not makes no difference still happens"

vicksikand

Reaction score
D2G Screen lock up

I called motorola and told them about my issue after some verbal jostling they transfered me to a lady who communicates directly with the developers. I apprised her of the problem and inquired if Motorola had any other official complaints to which she said - they didn't.

I recommend that you call and apprise Motorola of your situation, hopefully they will release a patch to fix this problem. For my wife and me, the problem went away after we turned off the "in-pocket detection" feature. I dont know how this feature kicks in as I too put my hand(s) along all edges to determine whether it would turn off / lock the phone - it did not. It is very well possible the detection features works on pressure + light combination or something else : think about it- we woudlnt want our phone to lock up in an absolutely dark room.

weyrcat

Reaction score
D2 NOT Global... No Pocket detect mode available

But my screen is turning off willy nilly every half second or so. The option to turn off the screen due to inactivity is set to Never, but that hasn't made a difference. Halps.

Editted:
When entering my phone type in my new profile here, my phone settings says I do indeed have a D2G... So maybe I do not understand the difference. I do know that there is no "Pocket"-anything in my Display Settings, or anywhere else that I can find. :(

Last edited:

tfisher13

Reaction score
same issue

my droid's screen also keep shutting off and i don't have a pocket dectection option under my setting -> display. any other way to turn this featur off??

weyrcat

Reaction score
my droid's screen also keep shutting off and i don't have a pocket dectection option under my setting -> display. any other way to turn this featur off??

I discovered mine was caused by a new screen protector blocking a tiny sensor in the upper left of the screen. You can barely see it if you tilt to the light but that sensor turns the screen off when your head blocks it in a call. I cut back the screen protector and it stopped.