screen randomly selecting icons, text, etc

fiveohpatrol

Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully someone here can help.

Today, the screen on my Moto Droid started acting up (non-rooted, 2.2 for a few days with no major issues until now). I noticed it when I went to use the pattern to unlock the screen and it took me 4 or 5 tries for it to recognize the simple pattern. Once in, it seemed fine for a quick glance at email. Next time I opened it was after getting a spam text message, something about "thanks for visiting our site, here's a walmart coupon..." (did not download any files or visit any links). Immediately following that, the phone seemed like it was trying to reply to that message by itself. I don't think it would even let me out to the home screen, so I shut it off.

After rebooting, it was randomly selecting icons. It does it on all parts of the screen; pulls up the browser, pulls down the notifications bar, opens gallery, etc.

I've tried pulling the SD card, using a different SD card, removed the screen protector, and lastly a factory reset which did not fix the issue.

Am I risking anything by trying to reset to 2.1? I can take it by the verizon store tomorrow to see what they can do, but I absolutely hate that place (30 minutes away, and usually 45-60minute waits)

thanks guys

azpilot

Reaction score
Hi all, hopefully someone here can help.

Today, the screen on my Moto Droid started acting up (non-rooted, 2.2 for a few days with no major issues until now). I noticed it when I went to use the pattern to unlock the screen and it took me 4 or 5 tries for it to recognize the simple pattern. Once in, it seemed fine for a quick glance at email. Next time I opened it was after getting a spam text message, something about "thanks for visiting our site, here's a walmart coupon..." (did not download any files or visit any links). Immediately following that, the phone seemed like it was trying to reply to that message by itself. I don't think it would even let me out to the home screen, so I shut it off.

After rebooting, it was randomly selecting icons. It does it on all parts of the screen; pulls up the browser, pulls down the notifications bar, opens gallery, etc.

I've tried pulling the SD card, using a different SD card, removed the screen protector, and lastly a factory reset which did not fix the issue.

Am I risking anything by trying to reset to 2.1? I can take it by the verizon store tomorrow to see what they can do, but I absolutely hate that place (30 minutes away, and usually 45-60minute waits)

thanks guys

My brothers started doing this last Friday, its got to the point that he has to get a new phone. No matter what we try its getting worse and now you can't even select stuff on the screen. Waiting to see what phone he gets on Tuesday.

funkylovemonkey

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me three months ago or so. Took it to the Verizon store and they replaced it on warranty. That was back on 2.1. Pretty sure it wasn't a software issue, most likely something related to the touchsceen itself.

OP
F

fiveohpatrol

Reaction score
No matter what we try its getting worse and now you can't even select stuff on the screen.

Yup, mine has been getting a lot worse. Can't really do anything on it at this point. I'll take the trip to the store later today. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll offer a free upgrade to the X or 2 :) (not getting my hopes up for that, lol)