Screen Question

TigerDirect

Reaction score
I've been considering purchasing a Droid for a while now, so I've made a few trips to my local Verizon store to actually try one out. However, my experience with the phone as been less than stellar, to say the least.

The touchscreen on the demo phones was absolutely horrible. Tapping an icon near the bottom of the screen would sometimes register as a press at the top of the screen, the back, menu, home and search buttons absolutely did not work, trying to scroll down would scroll up, the virtual keyboard registered multiple key presses on every press...basically, every aspect of the phone (except the physical keyboard and D-Pad) did not function properly.

I've spent a fair amount of time reading reviews of the Droid, perusing this site, etc., and have never never heard of this occurring. But it strikes me as odd that both of the store's demo units behaved this way.

Is this behavior normal? I have a hard time believing that it is (especially considering that those phones are public demo units), but I just wanted to hear from some actual Droid owners.

Thanks.

Gisboro

Reaction score
This is absolutley not the case with my phone, I have had no issues at all with any of the screen fuunctions or any of the home buttons. Navigation through this phone is easy and smooth.

darreno1

Reaction score
If this was a normal occurence it'd be all over the web. Hate to say it but if 2 phones were acting that way when you used them then maybe it was something you were doing.

OP
TigerDirect

TigerDirect

Reaction score
Hate to say it but if 2 phones were acting that way when you used them then maybe it was something you were doing.

I had the same thought. But the first time I was in there, one unit worked perfectly and the other was terrible. Today, both units acted that way.

Also, I had a friend with me today, and I asked them to try using the phone. They had the same experience as I did. So, while it could still be user error, I feel fairly certain that it isn't.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
While highly unlikely it is possible they were 2 defective units. This is a non issue with the Droid. As a previous poster said if it was a known issue we would have certainly heard about it.

With that said it could have been user error or you found 2 bad devices.

hyperlite456

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't worry about this happening with your own droid. If you know someone with a droid I'd say try there's, otherwise complain to the store or try the next nearest verizon

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind the display devices at stores take all types of abuse.

Reaction score
Not normal. The problem is most like attributed to the fact that the Verizon Store is NOT using the original high power AC charger for the phone. I can almost assure you that's the problem. Try another store. This is, for sure, a problem with using a non-original (aftermarket, 3rd party) charger. Check the issues sub-forum on here.

Hope that helps. :D

Paul

TomN

Reaction score
Not normal. The problem is most like attributed to the fact that the Verizon Store is NOT using the original high power AC charger for the phone. I can almost assure you that's the problem. Try another store. This is, for sure, a problem with using a non-original (aftermarket, 3rd party) charger. Check the issues sub-forum on here.

Paul

This is exactly what I was going to say!

I can almost guarantee you that if you unplugged the USB power connector they would have acted normally.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Paul
this would in fact be true...good call.