Screen question

orion2001

Reaction score
Maybe to you it is not a great screen but for me, it is by far the greatest screen I have ever seen on a phone with the Rezound as a close second. The Original Droid is not even close. So it uses pentile, I can't tell, I can't even see the pixels let a lone the sub pixels and my vision is fine. Anyone complaining about the screen on this beast is nitpicking and if you think it is less good than the OG then I don't know what to say. It is in a class of its own and the Droid can't compete.
I'm glad you are enjoying your GN and the screen, and as I said, that is how the screen appeared to me. The point I was trying to make though, is that screen clarity isn't really that subjective. Based on the pixel arrangement and density, it is possible to estimate the average subpixel density of a screen, and this relates directly to how crisp text will look on a screen.

Anandtech published a nice analysis for a number of screens including the Galaxy Nexus, and the chart below mirrors exactly what I was able to conclude from when I played with the phones (in the crispness/clarity department). The Rezound isn't on the chart, but given that it is a true RGB subpixel phone, it has a ppi of 342, which is pretty much the highest across any phone screen so far, and it really shows when you play with it (especially if you have another phone next to it with the same webpage loaded).

41846.png

On the color/saturation/"pop" side of things, it really has to do with personal preference and AMOLED is certainly very attractive because of the saturated colors. While I prefer more accurate colors on my PC monitors/TV screen, I actually don't mind the saturated colors on the GN AMOLED display, but it doesn't compensate for the lower clarity that is visually distinguishable to me.

Anyways, I'm very happy for everyone that likes the screen on the Nexus. I've really been trying to force myself to like it because I really really want to upgrade to it, but every time I play with it and browse websites, I feel a bit underwhelmed as I know that things look a bit better on my OG.

Here are a few references discussing what I mentioned with regards to pixel density on the GN display:
AnandTech - Confirmed: Galaxy Nexus Includes PenTile
Galaxy Nexus: 316-Hole Mask ≠ 316 ppi ••• DisplayBlog
Galaxy Nexus with curved 4.65" OLED display - FlatpanelsHD