Screen Protector?

goeagles5039

Reaction score
I just got my S3 and I am getting a case for it. Is it neccessary to get a screen protector since it has gorilla glass? I never had one for my droid bionic and it never seemed to get scratched at all.

legacykid

Reaction score
i use phantomskinz love them, ive dropped my bionic and a piece of the case chipped off, but the phone had zero damage.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Smartphones are devices worth hundreds of dollars, so to me it's not even a choice as to whether I will or won't spend few bucks for a decent screen protector - I always get one. Just the slightest scratch or scuff can be very distracting, particularly since pretty much everything you do with the phone is on the screen. If you get one that's good quality, you won't even know it's there.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Smartphones are devices worth hundreds of dollars, so to me it's not even a choice as to whether I will or won't spend few bucks for a decent screen protector - I always get one. Just the slightest scratch or scuff can be very distracting, particularly since pretty much everything you do with the phone is on the screen. If you get one that's good quality, you won't even know it's there.

+1... its like a gun.. i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Chesteracorgi

Reaction score
The best protection that I've found for any device is the Otterbox Defender case which is coming out this month. There is a youtube video of some idiot testing the Otterbox Defender on an Iphone 4s with a 23 story drop and the phone surviving. I have yet to see a report of a phone getting destroyed with the Otterbox defender in normal use (it is also water resistant).

Reaction score
i got the zagg invisible shield, not too impressed feels a bit clingy but since i spent 15 dollars on a screen protector im not ready to just throw it away. Maybe the cling will wear off with use.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
squeekybigfoot said:
i got the zagg invisible shield, not too impressed feels a bit clingy but since i spent 15 dollars on a screen protector im not ready to just throw it away. Maybe the cling will wear off with use.

You should have went with the one I mentioned, they are crystal clear and smooth as glass, I have used Zagg before, they give great protection, but the orange peel effect will eventually drive you crazy.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have not received the phone yet but got the screen protector yesterday, in my Rezound it covers the whole screen, on the S3 it will not do to the curved glass, but that is good, that means no curling up at the edges.

Image of S3 clarivue guard:

View attachment 52686

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I used the Halo Screen Protectors for my Rezound. I plan to get the same for the S3 when it arrives. They fit great.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have used Zagg in the past, and they are still on some of my devices, best screen protectors, yes they are, but the orange peel effect get annoying after a while and takes away from the sharp screens of today's smartphones, so I tried a few others and none of them compare to clarivue, they are tough and crystal clear, next best thing to zagg, you can only order them from their store, they don't use any outside vendors to sell their products.

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
You should have went with the one I mentioned, they are crystal clear and smooth as glass, I have used Zagg before, they give great protection, but the orange peel effect will eventually drive you crazy.

Yeah, im kind of wishing I stuck around the forum to see what others like. I guess if I somehow manage to wreck this protector i will get the free replacement to keep as spare and go buy the protector you have.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
squeekybigfoot said:
Yeah, im kind of wishing I stuck around the forum to see what others like. I guess if I somehow manage to wreck this protector i will get the free replacement to keep as spare and go buy the protector you have.

The Zagg is pretty impossible to wreck, they are tough as nails, the thing I hate about them is the orange peel effect look, do you know what that means, have you ever seen a bad paint job on a car that has that wave look to it, that's what you call orange peel effect.

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
The Zagg is pretty impossible to wreck, they are tough as nails, the thing I hate about them is the orange peel effect look, do you know what that means, have you ever seen a bad paint job on a car that has that wave look to it, that's what you call orange peel effect.

Yea i see what you're talking about. So far i can tolerate it. But when i unlock or swype i can feel all the bumps.