Screen Protector Question

Prpltrck

Reaction score
So I was upsold to the "better" screen protectors, you know the ones you have to cut yourself. First and foremost I realize now that that was a mistake, but are there any tips / hints you can give me to help me get a clean cut?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I was upsold to the "better" screen protectors, you know the ones you have to cut yourself. First and foremost I realize now that that was a mistake, but are there any tips / hints you can give me to help me get a clean cut?

:welcome: to the Forums. You're not going to like my tip. I say don't use one, they are not necessary. Phone is made with Gorilla Glass and it's difficult (not impossible) to scratch. Glass just doesn't scratch that easy, if it was a plastic screen then we would have something to worry about.

GerryG35

Reaction score
I've tried both - the cut-em yourself type and the pre-cut type. They seem about equal in ability to protect the screen. I just feel better about "scrubbing" the fingerprints off if there's a protective sheet on the screen.

Anyway to answer your question: The sheets I bought have a paper backing with a grid printed on them so it's a matter of noting where to make the cuts. I use a metal ruler and either an exacto knife or your-favorite-style box cutter razor tool to make the cut. (I'm left-handed so I'm scissors impaired!)

polack

Reaction score
Don't use it. No screen protector is as good as an invisisheild from zagg.com They give you a lifetime warranty and it is truly the best. i've had mine on for at least 4 months and haven't had a single issue.

Champers

Reaction score
Don't use it. No screen protector is as good as an invisisheild from zagg.com They give you a lifetime warranty and it is truly the best. i've had mine on for at least 4 months and haven't had a single issue.
Lifetime warranty on their stupid plastic maybe, but if it fails and you scratch your phone - SOL...I just don't use anything. (I'm also not the kind of retard that puts it in my pocket with keys)

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have tried the "cut our own" and never could get a clean cut. I finally gave up and went to the precut ones and have not been happier. I personally feel better with the protector on my screen. Everything wipes off easy and you don't have to worry if something is going to scratch it. I have really bad luck and even though they say it is nearly impossible to scratch, if there is a way I will somehow find it so screen protectors all the way!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just chose a "better" screen protector that was cut from the factory for the Droid...

Better is always subjective. I personally prefer the Steinheil Crystal (I used to prefer Zagg's IS). Even the decision to use a screen protector in the first place is a subjective matter.

Lifetime warranty on their stupid plastic maybe, but if it fails and you scratch your phone - SOL.
That was never an issue in my experience over the years using the IS. The IS's may have taken beatings but my devices were scratch free and virtually new. It's certainly a YMMV thing but from my perspective you're definitely SOL if anything happens without a screen protector (or using insurance). If the screen protector is damaged, it's simple and cheap to replace.

I'm also not the kind of retard that puts it in my pocket with keys
There are certainly Droid owners who have scratched their screens and not because of keys in the pocket. Again, it's a subjective matter but no one plans for accidents and I prefer the safety margin.

I don't think the OP was asking for a debate on the merits of using a screen protector versus not using one though.

Last edited:

zakany

Reaction score
I don't think the OP was asking for a debate on the merits of using a screen protector versus not using one though.

Nor was he asking about other screen protectors. That's all just bonus content. :icon_ banana:

I would try a pair of double-edged scissors (like Fiskars) that have been recently sharpened. Then start before you need and cut past where you need to stop

solorca

Reaction score
Maybe this is a good place to ask, but how in the heck do you put a screen protector on without the annoying bubbles? I've used the wipes that come with them and did all of the things like using credit cards to push them out, etc. It seems however, that every time I end up with bubbles and I get so annoyed I just take the screen off.

Trooper

Reaction score
Well, in case you decide on purchasing a protector thats made for the droid, I'd highly suggest the one Seidio makes.

Mine went on without any bubbles, (could be my protector applying mad skillz LOL), and it covers the gorilla glass completely (with the exception of the ear piece of course).

It is very sensitive, but seems to be extremely durable...

just my .02¢

Last edited:
OP
P

Prpltrck

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I was just asking about handy dandy secrets of cutting it to fit. I have the Eris not the Motorola, and i am a retard that just throws things into my pockets and often find my phone and my keys in the same pocket...or my 2 year old finds a way to use my phone for just about any use a 2 year old can think of (thank god for the Toddler Lock app)

I have been going w/o one for a while with no issues. I do get annoyed with small bubbles and peeling at the corners, but it just seem unavoidable.

I guess I'll just try and try until I get one. The highly priced ones do seem to stick better, but the budget precut ones I got on EBay from China are not headache free...but headache smaller.

Probably just try to cut a couple more until I get fed up and just go back to the precut ones.

I'm also the type of person who upgrades after 2 years, so we'll see what's out in Nov. (ish) 2011.

Thanks again, Moderator feel free to lock this thread.