Screen not responding to touch on right side!

mostendorf34

Reaction score
Ok I have no idea how this could have happened and it is probably one of the more frustrating things that ever could have happened.... last night my phone was at 30% and I was sleeping over somewhere else and didn't have a charger so I turned it off. Woke up this morning, turned it on and went to send a text but for some reason when trying to type (in handscent, browser, market etc.) on the touchscreen the 'delete' 'L' and 'P' buttons will not respond to touch, AT ALL. If I try to delete the 'M' button will be hit etc. Also when in landscape mode I am unable to pull down my notification bar at all.... so apparently the right side of my phones screen and become unresponsive.

I have restarted the phone, and done a nandroid restore with no luck, anyone have any idea how this could have happened and how I can fix it?

ShowTime

Reaction score
I agree. Take it back. Make sure you take any screen protector you have on it, off first.

OP
mostendorf34

mostendorf34

Reaction score
Damn, thanks for the responses, they just aren't what i wanted to hear. I baby my phone but in the first two weeks I had it (i've had it ~2 months now) i dropped it into a little but of snow, it didn't affect how the phone works, but the little red X's now appear showing water damage so even though it isn't due to that i know verizon won't do jack about it, now i'm gonna have to pay a $89 deductible from asurion, damnit. i have no idea how this occurred and it is EXTREMELY frustrating that it would literally just happen the way it did!

Wolfy

Reaction score
Just started having the exact same thing happen to my 2nd Droid just a few days ago. Right side portrait keys enter the letter to the left of the one I press, can't bring down notification bar in landscape mode. Oddly, though, the whole right side of the screen isn't really dead because icons I have over there still work fine, and I can swipe from the far right edge of the screen and move to other home screens. Seems it's just under certain circumstances that it doesn't work.

I say 2nd Droid, because this one is a replacement for my original one, which had this exact same thing happen but to the LEFT side of the screen 2 months after getting it.

Only fix seems to be to get it replaced, and my 3rd Droid is on its way here now.

Maybe on the 3rd one, after having it for another 2 months (which is how long each one has lasted so far), the CENTER of the screen will go dead. Won't that be a joy!!! :D

mike3mn

Reaction score
Same thing here

The right side on mine isn't responsive anymore, it started about 2 weeks ago. i keep on changing roms but i can't really blame it on one rom because i don't remember if it started to happen right after a rom switch. anyway, having red X's doesn't mean your phone is damaged, the wetness check sticker is supposed to have red X's on it when you get the phone. if the whole sticker turns red then that means that you got it wet.

The BIG PROBLEM is that i have one of those droids that have the raised keybaord keys unlike most of the droids out there that have flat keys. I will hate to get my phone replaced and get a phone with flat keys.

uhsana

Reaction score
Same problem here, but I don't believe it's a hardware issue, it began after adding a couple of apps and a system update. I'm surprised there are not more posts on the subject, and absolutely no solutions, as the problems all sound identical.

theglassprizon

Reaction score
i have the same issue with the right side of the screen and toolbar dragdown. went to verizon store and sent me a new one no problems. no fixes for this folks.not hardware or software related. as i have had a few roms all witht he same problem

cpjr

Reaction score
The "digitizer" is the part that makes the screen touch sensitive, it is a VERY thin, fairly fragile piece of glass that is attached directly under the LCD/and/or screen.

It is possible to damage part of it (or have part fail), thus making only a partial area unusable.

sbursik

Reaction score
Same issue here on the left hand side of the screen. Then it goes nuts like the screen is being touched. I removed the screen protector just to be sure it wasnt that and it had no effect. I bought my phone from a friend so we'll see if VZW replaces it. So frustrating.

sbursik

Reaction score
I took my phone to the VZW store last night and she reloaded the phone and it had no affect. Still messed up. She ordered a refurb to be sent to my house because they had none in stock at that store. I was stoked because I had not bought the phone from VZW. It was a Craigslist buy.

hockey930

Reaction score
I just took mine to the store as well, they claim they are sending a new one to the house as a warrenty replacement. I also got it on craigslist so I was supprised they were willing to help me at all.

jsummersphd

Reaction score
Would like to chime in as another person experiencing this same issue. Calling vzw when their customer support is available in the morning. I don't anticipate any issues based on whats been said here.