screen not locking out during phone call?

rippinitup7

Reaction score
i am on the verge of returning my droid, but i'd like to hear from others first to see if what i am experiencing is a common issue or not. i am having a major problem when making phone calls the screen will not lock out properly and it's causing the phone when against my face to press random buttons on the screen. so far i've had it mute out my phone calls, press numerous numbers, go to speaker mode, make a 3-way call, and the most annoying one is when it ventures out of the "phone" screen into the home screen and i have to navigate back to it quickly when i'm making important phone calls. all in all it's very frustrating and it's making me look like an idiot when talking to people. i assume the only fix for this will be to exchange the unit out since i bought it about 2 weeks ago. i hope the store won't fight me on this if that's what i must do. anyone have any info they can share regarding all of this?

Last edited:

Hypnotic

Reaction score
i am on the verge of returning my droid, but i'd like to hear from others first to see if what i am experiencing is a common issue or not. i am having a major problem when making phone calls the screen will not lock out properly and it's causing the phone my face to press random buttons on the screen. so far i've had it mute out my phone calls, press numerous numbers, go to speaker mode, make a 3-way call, and the most annoying one is when it ventures out of the "phone" screen into the home screen and i have to navigate back to it quickly when i'm making important phone calls. all in all it's very frustrating and it's making me look like an idiot when talking to people. i assume the only fix for this will be to exchange the unit out since i bought it about 2 weeks ago. i hope the store won't fight me on this if that's what i must do. anyone have any info they can share regarding all of this?

Do you mean the screen does not dim when you put it to your face?

OP
R

rippinitup7

Reaction score
i am on the verge of returning my droid, but i'd like to hear from others first to see if what i am experiencing is a common issue or not. i am having a major problem when making phone calls the screen will not lock out properly and it's causing the phone my face to press random buttons on the screen. so far i've had it mute out my phone calls, press numerous numbers, go to speaker mode, make a 3-way call, and the most annoying one is when it ventures out of the "phone" screen into the home screen and i have to navigate back to it quickly when i'm making important phone calls. all in all it's very frustrating and it's making me look like an idiot when talking to people. i assume the only fix for this will be to exchange the unit out since i bought it about 2 weeks ago. i hope the store won't fight me on this if that's what i must do. anyone have any info they can share regarding all of this?

Do you mean the screen does not dim when you put it to your face?

it will, only sometimes. when i have the phone up to my ear, i can see out of the corner of my eye that the phone is still lit up.

Hypnotic

Reaction score
That is strange and I was just looking through the settings to see if a setting may cause that, but hmm.... it doesn't appear to. It could be there is something wrong with your phone.

rebekah_rosebud

Reaction score
i have this problem too! it is frustrating! verizon tells me it is the way i talk into the phone and i'm on my 2nd one. i look into a mirrior to see what i do wrong and the screen goes in and out and i don't move! i can't figure it out. help!

vearix

Reaction score
I think its just your phone...mine stays dark throughout the entire call and takes about half a second to get bright again when i move it away from my ear.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Correct, mine stays dark while I have it up to my ear. I have the problem where it goes dark RIGHT after I start a call. Had an embarrassing 12am phone call to my gf that way cuz I couldn't get the screen to "undarken" for me to end the accidental placed call.

Found out that I have to pull the phone away from my face pretty fast in order for it to light up again (otherwise it just stays dark).

Sounds like a problem with the phone to me (what you reported).

Droidster163

Reaction score
I've have had this problem several times as well. It is also annoying when you finally take it away from your face and the screen does not come on. People have said that the sensor on the phone is very sensitive and there is a certain position you must have it to properly work. I don't think it's YOUR specific phone that has the problem, I think it's with everyone's, some people just hold it differently i guess.

jeebuss1

Reaction score
i have this problem too! it is frustrating! verizon tells me it is the way i talk into the phone and i'm on my 2nd one. i look into a mirrior to see what i do wrong and the screen goes in and out and i don't move! i can't figure it out. help!
What verizon told you is simply rediculous. The proximity sensor is right next to the in-call speaker therefore if you have the speaker on your ear the proximity sensor should be engaged turning off the display.

Spishak

Reaction score
Screen not locking out

I'm going through this unfortunate learning curve too. It's not a faulty product. The position and movement take the phone out of keypad lock. I've done it a few times but made the connection after it lit up when taken away from my face. I'm one to move when using the phone and unconsciously jerk the handset away enough to create the problem. When it first happens, the phone is still very close to the face and that causes multiple keypad tones. If I don't figure out what's happening quick enough and move it closer to my cheek, I have the same things happen like going out of phone mode.
I'm frustrating myself because I've had the phone since New Years and haven't taken time to learn it's complex functions. There are many basics I still don't know.

rzdave

Reaction score
Same problem

My droid goes black right away and when I need to use the touchscreen (to enter a password or pin code) the thing does not brighten. It just stays dark. Went to the verizon store as its only 2 weeks old, and there in the store it works fine. When I go into my car, stops working immediately. Its bizarre.

sin vicious

Reaction score
i can tell you are in fact correct both my wifes droid and mines have the same issue. It doesnt matter what i do, how i hold it.. sometimes it does not work.. and sometimes the phone will ring and i cant answer because it stays dark.. or i need to hang up and it stays dark.. so i need to slide it open/close. Its annoying as hell. I purchased mines 2nd day out.

rzdave

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with the phone ringing black screen. Or another call coming in and it stays black, you cant see who is calling you. I am sure they know all about this problem but they act like its the first time someone is telling them. I can see it in their faces.