screen locks @ beginning of call and doesn't always unlock after call ends

aaronmcc11

Reaction score
I just got a new moto droid. 2.1. When I make a call the screen locks like normal but sometimes after the call ends I can't press anything and the screen stays blank.. anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

papatar

Reaction score
the same problem started with me yesterday. I can't take a second call coming in, can't go to the dialpad when needed, can;t hang up the phone to end a call. i've tried the power button or sliding the phone to expose the keyboard and nothing helps. I've had to take out the battery to hang up the phone but that reset anything. I think i'm going to have to get a refurb but don't really want the hassle of gong thru setting up the phone again. this problem seems to be way too common. please pass it on if anyone has a solution.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Yup, change your display timeout to 10 to 30 min, screen never shuts off.

BigNunz6

Reaction score
This is the exact problem I'm having...just recvd this new refurb from Verizon. Did the OP ever get a fix??

AShade

Reaction score
Just started happening with mine also. Can't access any functions of the phone, shook it, tried the power and even took the battery out for about a minute and that still didn't fix it.

Today I was home when it did it and tried plugging it into the charger while the screen was black and that brought it back, don't know if it was ready to come back or the charger actually helps?

I hope Motorola comes up with a fix for it.

BigNunz6

Reaction score
yep...as soon as you plug the charger in the phone screen will come back..I'm on the phone with Verizon now explaining the situation. ...so madd

AShade

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, hope they give you a fix, I'm not always around a charger when it happens :icon_evil:

jkbff

Reaction score
This happens sometimes when I am on a call. The proximity sensor will lock the screen when your face is close to the ear piece. When the call is done you take the phone away from your head so you can press end but the screen doesn't show up. Usually the only time it will show up is when the other person hangs up... Not sure what is going on with that, but it seems to be a software issue or a proximity sensor issue (dirt on the glass, or false readings or something..)...

AShade

Reaction score
Working fine now

After reading many forums and doing searchs (up late last night), I cleaned my cache & increased the screen timeout. Nothing helped until I pulled down and cut off a small strip from the top of my screen protector this morning. I remember reading that the proximity sensor is at the top right of the phone, looking at mine from the front, and putting my hand over it, it seems to be on the top left hand side.

Anyway it worked fine all day with several extended phone calls. My screen protector was about due to be replaced anyway, so when I get a new one I won't cut it. I expect that it will work well as long as the screen protector is in good condition as I just started having this problem recently. I was also thinking that many of us (at least me) have had the same screen protector on for quite awhile, maybe since the Droid first came out.

I hope this is all it was becaue I was losing my screen after every call that I didn't disconnect from, or when during a call, pulling it away from my face to turn on the speakerphone or dialpad. I'm hoping this is all it was but if it starts again, I'll let you all know. I hope this helps others!