Screen lock

beckeann

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid turbo
I changed the swipe unlock to a pattern and went to change it today and it won't let me do the swipe any longer. Says I have to encrypt my phone. I don't want lose all my data. Is there something else I can do?
thanks Becke

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do you have a work email account set up and active on your phone?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Did you try Settings > Security > Screen Lock > None? what happens when you select None?

OP
beckeann

beckeann

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid turbo
Did you try Settings > Security > Screen Lock > None? what happens when you select None?

Yes I do have work email in phone. And none is unavailable ad well. It says the encryption thing too

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you have a work e mail account it is probably an Exchange account, as Leeshor mentioned. With that account in your phone you must maintain a screen lock...either PIN, Pattern or Password. Those rules are normally set by your IT department once you setup your work email account.

OP
beckeann

beckeann

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid turbo
And how do I fix it? I haven't always had a screen. This is what it is says on the change screen lock and On the none and swipe its says disabled by administrator,encryption policy or credential storage.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm with the other guys here. I'd be your work email is an Exchange account and they've got certain security criteria that must be met.

Did you have the phone setup without a lock while you had the email address setup on the phone?

It could be any number of other things. Android Pay requires a secure lock screen as well...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
And how do I fix it? I haven't always had a screen. This is what it is says on the change screen lock and On the none and swipe its says disabled by administrator,encryption policy or credential storage.

The only fix that I know of is to remove the work e-mail account, reboot the phone and you might get the NONE option to re-appear. Just like the message on the screen reads: "disabled by administrator..." Most companies enforce a policy that as soon as you add their work mail account (Exchange account) then their IT policies force you to have a screen lock as long as that mail account is active on your phone. I guess it comes down to: do you really want your work mail....must have a screen lock; or don't want a screen lock...remove the work e-mail account. Hope that helps with your decision.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You could also look in settings to see what is set up as Phone administrators. Chances are it is any one of those or all of those that require screen lock security.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk