Screen lock issues among others

anantsagar

Reaction score
Ok, So I just bought the xt910.
The maxx isnt in India yet nor the xt912....
Anyway my problem is the screen lock.

In the security settings I have turned the screen lock on. pattern is saved too.
But when I lock the screen using the power button, the screen goes off alright.
BUT
If i press the power button the screen comes on again, no screen lock nothing....

What can I do about this?

I'm running android 2.3.6

Another problem is my home button doesnt take me home. the little house does not work. Also the last button meant to turn on a google search anywhere isnt working either.

Any fixes for any of these problems would be highly appreciated.
Especially the screen lock part....
Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, So I just bought the xt910.
The maxx isnt in India yet nor the xt912....
Anyway my problem is the screen lock.

In the security settings I have turned the screen lock on. pattern is saved too.
But when I lock the screen using the power button, the screen goes off alright.
BUT
If i press the power button the screen comes on again, no screen lock nothing....

What can I do about this?

I'm running android 2.3.6

Another problem is my home button doesnt take me home. the little house does not work. Also the last button meant to turn on a google search anywhere isnt working either.

Any fixes for any of these problems would be highly appreciated.
Especially the screen lock part....
Thanks

Are you trying the power button immediately after powering down to lock and discovering it will open again without the pattern? If so, that may be simply a convenience factor built into the OS so that if you realize immediately after hitting power, or you hit it by accident, that you can get right back in without going through the security feature. If you are finding it will open without the security after 5 or 10 seconds, that's a different story.

As for the home not taking you to home, go to the Play Store and download Moto Home Fix and run it. It will clear all defaults for the home key. The next time you press the home key, it will prompt you for the app you wish to use as default. You will select either Moto Home or Home as your new default, depending on the OS version you have. This should resolve that problem.

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
Are you trying the power button immediately after powering down to lock and discovering it will open again without the pattern? If so, that may be simply a convenience factor built into the OS so that if you realize immediately after hitting power, or you hit it by accident, that you can get right back in without going through the security feature. If you are finding it will open without the security after 5 or 10 seconds, that's a different story.

As for the home not taking you to home, go to the Play Store and download Moto Home Fix and run it. It will clear all defaults for the home key. The next time you press the home key, it will prompt you for the app you wish to use as default. You will select either Moto Home or Home as your new default, depending on the OS version you have. This should resolve that problem.

I tried the power button, immediately after, as well as after a time span going up to 20 even 30 minutes. I have the security lock timer set to 'when display is off' I even tried it with the one minute barrier.
Any advice on how to fix that is welcome.

EDIT
So I downloaded the fix... I went back to the home screen, pressed the home button. Nothing happened.
I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. still didnt work. Now what do I do?

As for the home button, seeing that I just saw your post, I will immediately download the moto home fix and see if it works.
I have 2.3.6 running on my phone.
Thanks a lot. Cheers!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Can't understand what the home button issue is.

Also, I've tried to reproduce the issues you're having with screen lock but mine works as expected. Check to make sure you have screen locking turned on, not just the pin set.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
Neither do I.
I downloaded the fix like you said but, it says its installed. but when i touch the home button it does nothing.
I went to change screen lock in location and security and touched pattern. As far as I can tell thats the only way to turn it on.
Also what is tactile feedback... i havent kept that on. Is that necessary?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Negative on tactile. It creates a shirt burst of vibration when you hit buttons.

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
understood...
looked around the forums. found that you had a similar problem with the home screen buttons.
How did you get around that. You got rid of the home fix and did something.. I couldnt figure out what. My phones not rooted so i would prefer to stay away from that till my warranty dies.

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
Negative on tactile. It creates a shirt burst of vibration when you hit buttons.

found another problem. it wont hook up to my pc. It just says the drivers arent installed properly. I downloaded the drivers from the moto website along with the motohelper software. doesnt do anything. it wont connect on mass storage or pc sync or anymode for that matter. it will keep charging however.

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
Over 500 views and only one user who tried to help... damn!
Come on people a fellow razr user is in need!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Over 500 views and only one user who tried to help... damn!
Come on people a fellow razr user is in need!

Ok, I re-read your original post and discovered something. You said you've turned off the lock feature, but also created a pattern lock on the phone. Then when you lock the phone with the power button, and try to power it up later the phone comes on without going to a lock screen and requiring you to enter the pattern. The answer is much simpler then you might expect. By turning off the lock capability, you've also turned off the touch pattern capability. In order to have the touch pattern capability to work, you need to have the phone lock activated. In other words, there is no way to have the phone set up so that when you press the power button to turn it on the screen comes on automatically except for when you last powered it off with the lock capability under the power button, in which case it would come on to a lock screen. The phone either comes onto a lock screen every time or not locked every time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
Ok, I re-read your original post and discovered something. You said you've turned off the lock feature, but also created a pattern lock on the phone. Then when you lock the phone with the power button, and try to power it up later the phone comes on without going to a lock screen and requiring you to enter the pattern. The answer is much simpler then you might expect. By turning off the lock capability, you've also turned off the touch pattern capability. In order to have the touch pattern capability to work, you need to have the phone lock activated. In other words, there is no way to have the phone set up so that when you press the power button to turn it on the screen comes on automatically except for when you last powered it off with the lock capability under the power button, in which case it would come on to a lock screen. The phone either comes onto a lock screen every time or not locked every time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Ok, you lost me there. I'll tell you exactly what i did.
from the home screen, i went to settings
from settings i went to location and security
under security i went to Change Screen Lock.
in that menu I touched Pattern.
drew my pattern, redrew my pattern and confirmed.
then it came out of that menu and the use visible pattern option right under it was checked!

under that the security lock timer option is set to when display is off!
it still doesnt work.
What am I missing?

robbe291

Reaction score

Hello.
I am having the same issue. Were you ever able to find the answer to your question?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm now on ICS and the lock system is somewhat different. I followed the corresponding steps on my phone to set up a lock pattern, waited the appropriate timeframe and tried. It presented with the slide to unlock first, then once I had done that it presented with the pattern unlock. I typed the pattern and the phone unlocked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

OP
A

anantsagar

Reaction score
ok so what I did do was a factory reset.
I backed up my data and my app data and did a factory reset and everything works beautifully.
So far so good.

LumoUkko

Reaction score
Work for me

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.[/QUOTE

I had similar problem my razr maxx, pressing power off screen get down but no screen lock until I reboot. Problem also in home and search button didn't work(only sound an vib...).
When I try to add new contact addresbook phone says Saved but nothing in address book. So I reset phone in factory setting and now everything work like a charm.

ps. I read motorola support that if in the phone is set "microsoft exchange" account it is possible that screen lock is not possible.