Screen light-up when text message received?

SMC1982Q

Reaction score
I just bought the Motorola Droid yesterday, and haven't had much time to play around with it. However, I can't seem to find a basic option. Is there a way to have the screen light up when I receive a text message? I have to imagine that there must be, as it's an absolute rudimentary phone feature that any phone I've ever had included. I'd be pretty dissappointed if it didn't...

Also, the alarm noises on this phone are terrible. Is there a way to add new alarm sounds? If not, I'm assuming there are probably plenty of other alarm apps out there.

Thanks in advance.

biglu

Reaction score
I just bought the Motorola Droid yesterday, and haven't had much time to play around with it. However, I can't seem to find a basic option. Is there a way to have the screen light up when I receive a text message? I have to imagine that there must be, as it's an absolute rudimentary phone feature that any phone I've ever had included. I'd be pretty dissappointed if it didn't...

Also, the alarm noises on this phone are terrible. Is there a way to add new alarm sounds? If not, I'm assuming there are probably plenty of other alarm apps out there.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see an option to auto read for messages. I prefer it doesn't show who I receive a message from just in case theere is someone next to me that I don't want to see it.

I agree on the alert noises and they're not even that loud.

OP
S

SMC1982Q

Reaction score
Thanks, big. I just want the screen to light up, even if it just said "You've received a text, jerk." I agree, I wouldn't want the actual message showing up on the phone screen. Just a text received notification. The vibrate on this phone is pretty weak, too...

laterr

Reaction score
Download Handcent. It has the option to show you the message as it's received.

OP
S

SMC1982Q

Reaction score
Thanks, Laterr. I also noticed that the a little greem light will continue to flash in the upper right corner of the phone to indicate that there is a notification for anything, including texts. I will look into Handcent. Appreciate the help!

bergdev

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Customized Notification sounds can be uploaded just like ringtones. Just dump your mp3 files to /Media/Audio/Notifications on your SDCard and they'll show up in the list.

alm0614

Reaction score
the app SMS Popup turns on the screen and unlocks it when you get a text, you can either have it display the text or not

DroidFan

Reaction score
Download Handcent. It has the option to show you the message as it's received.

+1
Yes! On Handcent, you can set up an option for the text to pop up on the screen (even if the phone is locked), which lights it up for you to make an instant reply if you so choose.

Great feature for me!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: