screen jumping around

blacktalon82

Reaction score
For some reason if I hold my finger still on any list, web page, or screen that can be scrolled, the screen starts to jump all over the place.

Has anyone else experianced this? It honestly makes it very tough to use the phone at all as even leaving my finger on the phone for a second makes it jump.

Echo3

Reaction score
Was doing a search about this and came across this. Guess I am not the only one who has this issue. I'm guessing it's a bug...

YosM45

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Have to restart it, or pull the battery to get it back to normal.

Echo3

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Have to restart it, or pull the battery to get it back to normal.

I tried restarting and battery pull and it still does it. Thought it may be hardware issue, but when I do that on the slide to unlock, just holding it halfway before it unlocks, it does not jitter or shake. So it seems as if its software related.

Also, sliding the keyboard out and using in landscape mode, it does not show any symptoms of shaking/jittering when I am dragging down the notification bar, or scrolling through web pages and lists.

Hopefully the next patch will fix this issue.

Last edited:

Echo3

Reaction score
Nvm...when I disconnect it from the charger, it responds normal. Only time it behaves like this is when it is plugged in the charger.

allikanbe

Reaction score
Nvm...when I disconnect it from the charger, it responds normal. Only time it behaves like this is when it is plugged in the charger.

I'm just trying to pin down where the problem may be. Does this happen when the charging cable is plugged into your laptop or when it is plugged into an electrical outlet? It could be the cable, or the plastic part with the electrical prongs, or related to your laptop/computer.

Echo3

Reaction score

I'm just trying to pin down where the problem may be. Does this happen when the charging cable is plugged into your laptop or when it is plugged into an electrical outlet? It could be the cable, or the plastic part with the electrical prongs, or related to your laptop/computer.

Both. When it's plugged into my laptop or electrical outlet.

YosM45

Reaction score

I tried restarting and battery pull and it still does it. Thought it may be hardware issue, but when I do that on the slide to unlock, just holding it halfway before it unlocks, it does not jitter or shake. So it seems as if its software related.

Also, sliding the keyboard out and using in landscape mode, it does not show any symptoms of shaking/jittering when I am dragging down the notification bar, or scrolling through web pages and lists.

Hopefully the next patch will fix this issue.

I only experienced on the browser and especially on the contact list. When I used the tab to the right to scroll down to a letter, the tab was all over the place, contacts jumping up and down.

Never noticed if it was different while plugged.

Hasn't done it in a while though, but I read some where that this is supposed to be fixed with the next patch or 2.1.

nyijedi

Reaction score
Two things:

1) There have been some posts that using certain chargers will cause this exact behavior. Are you using the charger that came w/ the Droid or a different one? Not all micro-USB chargers are the same. If you're using a different charger, compare the amps in the charger you're using with the amps of the charger that came with the Droid. If they're different, stop using that charger.

2) A while ago I had a very small amount of liquid come in contact w/ the earhole above the screen on my Droid (happened when installing a screen protector). My touch screen went unresponsive for the rest of that night. Luckily, it started working the next morning, but for a day or two, I had the same problems you're talking about. Since then, it hasn't occurred. Is there any chance any liquid came into contact w/ the earhole on your Droid - even a very, very small amount?

Echo3

Reaction score
It's the stock charger that came with the phone and no liquid came in contact with the earhole.

Two things:

1) There have been some posts that using certain chargers will cause this exact behavior. Are you using the charger that came w/ the Droid or a different one? Not all micro-USB chargers are the same. If you're using a different charger, compare the amps in the charger you're using with the amps of the charger that came with the Droid. If they're different, stop using that charger.

2) A while ago I had a very small amount of liquid come in contact w/ the earhole above the screen on my Droid (happened when installing a screen protector). My touch screen went unresponsive for the rest of that night. Luckily, it started working the next morning, but for a day or two, I had the same problems you're talking about. Since then, it hasn't occurred. Is there any chance any liquid came into contact w/ the earhole on your Droid - even a very, very small amount?

lkevinl

Reaction score
It's the stock charger that came with the phone and no liquid came in contact with the earhole.

Two things:

First off, USB is a standard, the exact voltage and current may vary slightly from device to device as long as they are in the range of standard's specification.

So the question about using the stock "charger" is irrelevant. All wall chargers must put out voltage and current in the same range as the standard's spec. And the charger is irrelevant to those of us who connect to our PCs/Laptops where again, the voltage and current may vary slightly from device to device.

With all that said, I have the scroll jitter issue also. When connected to my laptop via USB, in portrait mode, my scroll lists jitter on any VERTICAL scroll. If I'm in a browser, I get vertical jitter when scrolling vertically, but no horizontal scroll jitter. Most list menus are vertical in portrait mode so they also jitter.

If I turn the device to landscape mode, ALL jitter goes away, horizontal and vertical. This seems to point to some SOFTWARE issue because if it weren't, you'd still get jitter in 1 axis since vertical just becomes horizontal in landscape mode and vice versa.

Also, if I unplug the device from USB, all jitter goes away in either mode, landscape or portrait.

To duplicate, while plugged in to a USB device or charger, go to a web page in the browser, put a finger down and scroll a bit vertically then stop keeping your finger down. I get varying amounts of vertical jitter. I can do the same on a home screen page by holding my finger down on an icon or widget as if I want to move it, move it slightly vertically and then hold... it starts to jitter vertically.

Very annoying. Hopefully this can be fixed a software update.

Smitty

Reaction score
This symptom appeared after the last update was pushed. My Droids screen is as yours, jittery, unsmooth and just unpleasant to use. I too hope the next update addresses this issue.

lkevinl

Reaction score
This symptom appeared after the last update was pushed. My Droids screen is as yours, jittery, unsmooth and just unpleasant to use. I too hope the next update addresses this issue.

But are you symptoms the same where they only occur while plugged in via USB and go away when unplugged from USB?

Smitty

Reaction score
Mine always does this, doesn't matter if it's plugged into the wall charger, or connected via USB cable to my computer. For what it's worth, I only use the charger supplied with the Droid from VZ, as opposed to the $10 charger available elsewhere.

Oohyeah

Reaction score
Didn't see this thread so I posted in another one here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...plugged-into-computer-via-usb.html#post119588

So that we can consolidate them, I'll carry on here. What I posted there was:

Whenever I plug in the USB cable to connect to my computer, the touchscreen behaves very erratically, making it very difficult to swipe properly, like flipping homescreens. To prove this, I ran a picture drawing app, and it shows my touch going everywhere and not responding as it should be.

This only happens when plugged into a computer, and the USB is set to one of the options (like SD card management) and not to 'none'. Also does not happen when just plugged in for power charging.

Then Martin posted this:

Are you using the USB cord that came with your Droid? If so... I would say your USB is not giving out enough mA. Try another USB port and see if it does the same. If that doesn't help, it might be the power supply on your PC... see if you can try another computer.

To which I replied:

Thanks, Martin! I was using a non-Motorola cable, but I think I had it with the Motorola cable before too. Funny thing is, now I cannot get the problem back! I think you are in the right direction though with your analysis.
This is a very weird problem!