Screen jumping all over the place, not sure if 2.2 or BB issue

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by sgregory111, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sgregory111

sgregory111 New Member

I seem to have a problem with my Moto Droid. It has been rooted for a few months. Running mostly BB. Not long ago I installed 2.2 and BB .4.

It seemed to work fine, and maybe it is. But I am having more problems with my screen acting up. This would happen sometimes before but now it is very frequent. It is as if someone was swiping and touching the screen continuously. I use to think it was screen contamination and would wipe the screen clean. That seems to help but after a few minutes it starts jumping all over the place.

Do others have this issue?

I know if I return it to the store I will have to unroot it. If I backup the Rom can I restore it to a new phone or will I have to do the unroot process all over again? If I unroot my phone can I restore a backup and get root back, or do I have to do the unroot all over again to my phone?

Thoughts, advice?

Thanks.

2. jferrato7

jferrato7 New Member

Thats weird that you say that...ever since yesterday my phone has been doing that to. Not when its not being touched though. Like if im scrolling or long pressing something it will shake like its having a seizure...the screen that is. Really Odd. Ever since I flashed the new leak FRG01B. Im back on Simply Stunning now but its still doing it. Its really pissing me off. Wish I could help bro but at least you know your not alone now! haha
  3. sgregory111

sgregory111 New Member

You are very accurately describing my problem.

I guess I need to figure out how to save my root, then unroot and go to store. When I come back reroot either the same fixed phone or a new one.

At times the phone is virtually unusable. I am worried I won't be able to unroot it before I go to store.

if not a BB .4 issue then I have this thread in wrong forum.
  4. JDROIDS

JDROIDS New Member

Glad I saw this. My phone has done this on 3 different ROMS now and I think it might have something to do with themes or framework.

It doesn't always do this but It happened on BB.04 and UD2.0 and higher roms.
  5. thesandman00

thesandman00 New Member

I have this too. Happens every week/couples weeks. Rebooting fixes the problem for me. Incredibly annoying.
  6. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

This sounds very familiar to an already well known issue regarding 3rd party chargers. Are you guys experiencing this while having the phone connected to a charger? If any of you are using non-original motorola chargers, you would do well to throw them out the window and get an original motorola charger.
  7. thesandman00

thesandman00 New Member

Both my car and wall chargers are legit moto. Even the wall charger cord was the one that came with the phone until I had enough it being only 2' (and bought a 6' one).
  8. sgregory111

sgregory111 New Member

Does not happen while being charged, at least that I notice.

My car charger is not Moto, but niether is my laptop computer which also charges it.
  9. thesandman00

thesandman00 New Member

I don't recall it ever happening while I was actually charging, either.
  10. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

Very strange indeed. All I can think of is possibly re-flashing BB from a completely fresh (read wipe like a mofo) state and install apps slowly from the market (thinking it's possible an app is possessing your phone and/or corrupt app backup).

In all fairness, if it fixes itself with a simple reboot, then it is most likely not a hardware issue, so the possibility if it being a rogue app is very high.
  11. nickmendez

nickmendez New Member

Had this problem, it was NOT a software issue.

Hey. I had this exact same issue for WEEKS. infrequent but totally crippling touch screen malfunction. The phone would work totally fine for a few hours, and then get so bad I couldn't get past the lock screen. Totally without warning, and seemingly unrelated to temperature, applications and as I found out- ROM.

I flashed ROM after ROM trying to get rid of the problem. For the first couple days it would fix it, but eventually the symptoms would return. I literally tried every version of Android that's ever run on the Droid, rooted, unrooted, stock from Google and ROMs from at least five different authors.

After struggling with it for weeks, I'm sure it has nothing to do with software. Called Verizon from a friend's line, described the problem and they FedEx'd me a replacement. To my understanding if you can replicate the problem in the store they'll set the shipment up for you as well.

This is a hardware issue. My new Droid works great running Bugless Beast v.4. Save yourself the frustration and just get it replaced.

Take care. dancedroid
  12. sgregory111

sgregory111 New Member

Thank you for the comments so far. I am glad I am not the only one experiencing the problem. From the comments I tend to think it is not ROM related.

I was particularly interested in the comment on chargers, and although it does not occur while being charged it has me wondering. I have a few micro USB chargers that use AC power. These are all quality chargers and appreciate that the manufacturers of my "toys" are beginning to standardize on the micro USB port. I hate to still have to have a separate charger for every toy.

My car charger is another matter. That was a cheap item bought in an "emergency". I saw one post that said

Last night my phone was extremely low and I used the car charger for a few hours. Later it went into the multi media dock for the night. I am wondering if the cheap charger confused the phone and it needed a reboot. As I think back I can almost convince myself that these problems have been after the phone has been charged using the car charger in low charge conditions (the only time I use the car charger). Something I will be very aware of it in the future.

I am doing lots of backups so I can return phone if I have to. Of course I will try to unroot it first. Can anyone comment on if I can make a backup that I can restore and not have to go through the unroot process?
  13. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

Well, if you are using the sbf to return to 2.1, I'd recommend making a nandroid with SPRecovery instead of clockworkmod.

From stock 2.1 you can use RSD Lite to flash SPRecovery and from there restore BB to all it's glory.
  14. Ataranine

Ataranine New Member

Happens to me too, but only when it's plugged into a charger that it doesn't like.
    I'll be in the browser, pressing the screen with ONE finger, and the screen will flip out and act like I'm pinch-zooming. It's crazy.
    Plugged it into a third party charger and laid it flat on a surface...pulled down the notification bar and it keeps spazzing out.. lol
  15. crspang

crspang New Member

Its happened to me, but after trying to use the phone with damp hands. And the general humidity outside was high too. It's been a while since it's happened though.
  16. thesandman00

thesandman00 New Member

How long did you have your phone and do you have insurance?
  17. sir2545

sir2545 New Member

Mine does things like you guys are describing when the screen gets wet
  18. scoder

scoder New Member

As a tech and Droid user, I'm very familiar with this issue. Motorola phones all have issues with "unauthorized chargers". Most of their phones will use that exact phrase if you plug in an LG charger for instance. The issue stems from voltage levels and the phone's security notifying you that you may harm the phone if you charge it at a different voltage than designed.
    The Droids don't notify you, you most likely will just notice the screen jumping around, selecting things on its own, or selecting the wrong things.

I first noticed it when I plugged in my Moto USB cable into my laptop from the Droid. Selecting things and on-screen typing became a fiasco until I removed the cable. The output of electricity from my laptop is obviously too much or too little. Yet, my old Dell desktop outputs just the right amount apparently because my phone runs smooth while they are connected.
    After flashing certain kernels (or roms with built-in kernels), I have found similar issues, yet not usually to the same extent.
    Try flashing a different kernel and see if this removes the issue.

If none of the above have resolved it, make sure your charging port is alright. I have seen the issue one other time on a non-rooted Droid when not plugged in. I had the girl bring in her home (original) and car chargers (Verizon, which is "authorized"). I finally checked her charging port and realized one pin was bent and she went on to tell me that she had once accidentally plugged the charger in upside-down. :icon_eek:

Hope this helps you guys.

By the way sgregory111, don't worry about unrooting. Not one tech will check ;)
  19. kpmoore

kpmoore New Member

I had this problem a while back, and I fixed it (I think) by taking the case off of my phone (seido innocase) and cleaning out all the dirt that had built up underneath. There was a lining of dirt and sand all along the edge of the screen which I think was causing interference with the touchscreen. I cleared it out, and its been working fine for a month or so since.
  20. sgregory111

sgregory111 New Member

Fortunately this is going from bad to worse quickly. Reboot not helping. Almost unusable as a phone. I already called Verizon and they are sending a new one.
Search tags for this page
facebook jumping around
ipad 1 screen jumping around
ipad 2 screen jumping
ipad air screen jumping all over
ipad charger spazzing
ipad keeps jumping
ipad keeps jumping around
ipad screen jumping all over the place

ipad screen jumping around

ipad screen jumps around

the screen on my blackberry jumps everywhere