Screen isn't working on Droid Razr Maxx

VitalEcho

Reaction score
Edit: Well, as an update to this I've pretty much given up on the idea of fixing it, and I'll just be sending it in for warranty. However, before I do I'd like to try an get access to the files on the phone. The issue is that my usb settings aren't on mass storage by default, and as I can use the screen I can't change the settings. Could anyone help me go about accessing by files? I'm really most concerned about my most recent text messages, as I sent myself my passwords for a new job.
Original post; So as of yesterday the screen on my Razr Maxx(not rooted) isn't working. Honestly the entire phone is a wreck from wear and tear and I've been having issues getting the phone to charge, the hdmi seems to constantly think it's connected, and I have a nice spiderweb design on the screen ;) . I haven't been too worried about those issues because the phone still functioned and I'm about due to get a new one. But now the screen just won't work. The indicator light blinks to show I have new e-mails, and I can receive phone calls and hear my ringer, but the screen is black, and totally unresponsive. Hard buttons work, soft buttons do not. I'm aware this is most likely a hardware failure as a soft reboot (Power button + Volume Down) isn't resolving the issue. I know I'm probably just going to have to give in and purchase a new phone but I'd like to get this one working again in the meantime, and so I can get any data from the phone, before turning to a new one. Anyone have anything that could possibly help solve my little problem? I'm not worried about warranties or anything so I'd even be up for opening the phone to try for a solution. It's a longshot, but has anyone experienced this problem and found/know of a fix?

bocabean

Reaction score
Are you able to connect the hdmi to view on another screen or dock? Maybe you can borrow someone's lapdock 100 or 500. I'm not sure about the 100, but on the 500 that is a slot for a regular SD card, as well as a USB port. If you can get connectivity to the dock, and if your device is working well enough, you should be able to access your files on the screen.

OP
V

VitalEcho

Reaction score
Are you able to connect the hdmi to view on another screen or dock? Maybe you can borrow someone's lapdock 100 or 500. I'm not sure about the 100, but on the 500 that is a slot for a regular SD card, as well as a USB port. If you can get connectivity to the dock, and if your device is working well enough, you should be able to access your files on the screen.

Sorry, I'd intended to clarify about the hdmi port. Unfourtunately, while it always seems to think I have HDMI plugged in, it won't actually register when I do plug it in. :/ Just recently found out my insurance isn't current anymore either so I can no longer go the warranty route. Thinking about popping it open and trying to hardwire an hdmi cable to the motherboard just to access the phone.

bocabean

Reaction score
Before you go that route, get in touch with someone that knows something about the "factory cables". Although they are USB and look exactly like the cable that you use to charge, they are supposedly quite different and can be used when all else fails, at least from what I have read. Theoretically, I believe that it would give you access to your device from your laptop. You might want to try a Google search on "factory cable" "XT-912", or one of those.

Hopefully that can bring you to a site where someone can help further and explain where to get one and how to use it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Power off the device and squeeze it all together... Several times.. Sometimes this will make it miraculously work for a few.. How...? It reattaches the digitizer and screen momentarily...

Try it... See what happens.. If so, try to do your business and get it done ASAP.

OP
V

VitalEcho

Reaction score
Before you go that route, get in touch with someone that knows something about the "factory cables". Although they are USB and look exactly like the cable that you use to charge, they are supposedly quite different and can be used when all else fails, at least from what I have read. Theoretically, I believe that it would give you access to your device from your laptop. You might want to try a Google search on "factory cable" "XT-912", or one of those.

Hopefully that can bring you to a site where someone can help further and explain where to get one and how to use it.

Would a 'factory cable' somehow bypass the USB options and force it into mass storage mode? I'm able to connect to a computer it just doesn't give me my personal files, all I get is the Verizon software drive.

Power off the device and squeeze it all together... Several times.. Sometimes this will make it miraculously work for a few.. How...? It reattaches the digitizer and screen momentarily...

Try it... See what happens.. If so, try to do your business and get it done ASAP.

I've tried all sorts of pushing and pulling and bending hoping something in there would make a connection. That's why I'm leaning towards popping it open to see if I can get it to work temporarily, or if all else fails I was considering hard-wiring an HDMI to the motherboard. I figure as that point I have little to lose. Thanks for the input everyone!