Screen Image Burn?

JerryRogan

Reaction score
I use the Motorola charging dock at night time, so the display is dimly lit all night long. Should I be concerned about the image being permanently burned into my screen, or is this a non-issue?

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe this is an issue with the type of screen used on the Droid.

dolpns13

Reaction score
I have the hard leather case on my Droid, do you know if this would this fit into the dock with the case on it?

ljholland

Reaction score
I have the hard leather case on my Droid, do you know if this would this fit into the dock with the case on it?

Nope. I made that mistake and bought the case....only a naked droid will fit in the multimedia dock.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe this is an issue with the type of screen used on the Droid.

I'll agree, LCDs dont succumb to burn-in like CRTs and plasmas.

But when my phone is in the charging dock for 10 minutes, it switches to a screensaver sort of thing. The screen goes black, and just the time and date are displayed in green. The time and date move around the screen, switching positions every couple of seconds. It's significantly dimmer, so I'm not sleeping next to a flashlight. OP, yours doesnt do this?

Big Cam

Reaction score

But when my phone is in the charging dock for 10 minutes, it switches to a screensaver sort of thing. The screen goes black, and just the time and date are displayed in green. The time and date move around the screen, switching positions every couple of seconds. It's significantly dimmer, so I'm not sleeping next to a flashlight. OP, yours doesnt do this?
You must have a screensaver app, what you are describing is not a standard feature on droids.

dolpns13

Reaction score

Is this the charging mode screen similar to what teh Dare has? I am trying to find out where I can enable something like this.. help please...

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You must have a screensaver app, what you are describing is not a standard feature on droids.

No screensaver app that I'm aware of. It did it on my stock phone, DroidMod, Cyanogen, and now BB1.0.... I stick it on the cradle, and about 5-10 minutes after the screen shuts off and I get a pretty green clock.

rawburt

Reaction score

No screensaver app that I'm aware of. It did it on my stock phone, DroidMod, Cyanogen, and now BB1.0.... I stick it on the cradle, and about 5-10 minutes after the screen shuts off and I get a pretty green clock.

Yeah I wish I could get rid of that, I hate it

OP
JerryRogan

JerryRogan

Reaction score

Mine has never done that - wish it would so I could see it, but if I didn't like it, I'd want to get rid of it.

Vitticeps

Reaction score

Actually LCD screens can succumb to a form of burn-in. With LCDs it's called image persistence. If the same crystals have been activated for extended periods of time then they start to develop a memory for that state. The effect is very similar to burn-in. The plus side though is that its usually reversible by simply turning off the screen for a day or two. With phones it's not likely to ever be a problem because the screen spends more time off than on and gives the crystals plenty of time to relax between charging sessions. But I suppose if you left it in the cradle for a year without turning it off then you might have a problem. :)

CRTs work by the inside of the glass being coated with phosphors and firing electrons at the phosphors, exciting them and making the emit light. If that same phosphor is continuously excited it will slowly lose their ability to emit light.

Plasmas work differently but the burn-in happens the same way as CRTs. Plasmas use tiny neon/xenon UV lights to excite individual phosphors (in a highly simplified way). The same burn-in happens from continuously exciting the same phosphors.

dolpns13

Reaction score