Screen goes dark during phone calls

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Hi All.

All of the sudden, without any update that I know of, my Rezound screen turns off a couple seconds into a phone call.
Turn it back on it stays on a couple seconds then goes dark again.

That has never happened before.
Not sure why it's doing it out of the blue.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
B

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Sounds like the proximity sensor needs calibrated, however this is only possible if you are rooted.... If so, search the playstore for Rezound proximity sensor calibrator

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Thanks.
No, I'm not rooted.
Why would the proximity sensor suddenly uncalibrate?

B

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that it becomes uncalibrated, it's more like the sensitivity of the proximity sensor becomes faulty and needs fine tuned. It's Imo the most common issue with this phone. I went through two Rezounds because of this and then got fed up and rooted. Just the other day mine was acting up during a call so I had to adjust the settings again after it was working perfectly for the past few months. I just wonder how many Rezounds would not have been returned if they made this problem easier to fix.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Cool.
Thanks for the info.
In order to facilitate this did you just have to root or did you have to root and install a different ROM?
I did both with my D1, but only rooted the rezound prior to ICS, the current OS, if memory serves. I do remember rerooting in order to ensure a proper upgrade from the previous OS, froyo?

Any idea if JB will happen for this phone?
I'd hate to have to reroot to get that, though I know I can install a custom JB ROM.

Thanks again.
B

Bpowder33

Reaction score
You don't need a custom rom to install the Rezound proximity sensor calibrator app from the market, just root privileges.

As far as official Jb it's not looking good but can't say for sure. I've been running unofficial Jb ROM's for months now as a daily driver.

Another thought too, make sure you don't have a screen protector that's messing with the sensor, I've read that has been some people's problem.

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Interesting.
I did just put a new screen protector on right before this started happening.
It's one that is intended to work with the rezound.
Where in the phone is the sensor located?

B

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Also, there should be a notch in the screen protector for the sensor

OP
D

DaDroidDude

Reaction score
Ah. I thought that was the speaker above the check mark, though I bet it has the speaker as well as the sensor.

I took off the screen protector and it seemed to work.
Then I put another on, it didn't work.
Took it off and it's still broken.

So I rooted in order to try the sensor calibrator app.
Since I'm rooted, I'm thinking of trying a new ROM.

Which JB ROM are you using?
How solid is it?
Any features not working?

Thanks
B