Screen fades into blackness

taggart

Reaction score
I've been searching several sites and have not seen this problem yet...

When I woke up the other day the bottom half of my DX had vertical lines that blacked out the icons. The phone continuously fades in and out with these lines, sometimes they stay for a few seconds and sometimes for a few minutes.
attachment.php

I pulled the battery and it didn't stop.

attachment.php

I thought it may be a program I downloaded so I did a factory reset, no luck.
attachment.php

I took it to a Verizon Tech Store, worked perfectly. As soon as I left, broke again.

I have never dropped my phone or exposed it to any amount of water. Please help.

I am running 2.1, never tried to install 2.2, waiting on OTA install.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 2,004
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,690
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,641
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,692

georgepink

Reaction score
I'd go back again. Looks like you already wiped, you have done nothing for them to void your warranty, I would absolutely go back as many times as it takes, this looks to me (I am no expert, just opinionated) like it is not going to 'fix itself'.

joezek

Reaction score
I had the same display problem on my wife's iPhone last night. I was replacing the case and didn't get the display plugged in completely. It was a loose cable. Yours could be that.

OP
T

taggart

Reaction score
I haven't opened the phone to loosen any cables

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You are not using the extended battery with the stock cover are you?

OP
T

taggart

Reaction score
I am using an extended battery but i am also using the extended battery cover

amojeba

Reaction score
I am using an extended battery but i am also using the extended battery cover

Try switching back to the stock battery, and see if that makes a difference at all?
Just a good engineering approach, to cover all your bases. Could be somehow related to that. If not, at least you can cross it off the list.

OP
T

taggart

Reaction score
First off, thank you for all the replies.

Second, I have continued researching and found that this is a known issue and Motorola has found a fix and is working diligently with Verizon to correct it. I am 1/10th of 1% of Droid X users who have this problem... (go figure, just my luck). But it seems there is nothing to do but get a new device.
Verizon confirms Droid X screen issues, but says they're not widespread -- Engadget

Sent Verizon an email, after a phone call and a personal visit, and this was their response; (names have been changed to protect the innocent :))

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is ******. I understand your concern regarding the shipment date of your replacement device. I will be more than happy to provide you with information on the shipment date of your replacement device.

Mr. Taggart, I have reviewed your phone order and can confirm your order was placed on 9/14/10. Unfortunately, there is a back order on this device and it is taking a couple of days from the order date to have the phone shipped out. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We are unable to expedite the shipment of this device due inventory of the device.

If you have your old Blackberry device you may switch back to that device until you receive your new device. You have the following options for activating the Blackberry device on your number:

1. Dial *228 (Send) and press option 1, when prompted, from the device you want to activate and listen for further instructions. Please ensure the wireless device you wish to deactivate is powered off.
2. Sign in to “My Verizon” using your Account Owner user ID and password and select the “Account” tab at the top of the page and click on “Activate Phone” from the “Account Actions” section located on the right side of the page.

Lastly, because we appreciate your loyalty, I will provide you with a free month of service on your next billing statement. This credit will not extend your contract.

Keep in mind; you can manage your account online at www.verizonwireless.com. I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by providing you with information on the shipment date of your replacement device. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

So I guess I'm stuck waiting, but at least they are proactive in the customer service department. I have switched back to my Blackberry for the time being and waiting patiently for my new DX.

joezek

Reaction score
I haven't opened the phone to loosen any cables

I wasn't suggesting that you had previously opened your phone case, just suggesting it's possibly a defect in the phone where the cable isn't fully inserted. Those tiny cables suck and are almost impossible to connect. You get a few specks of dust inside the connection and it goes wacky or won't fully lock into it's connector.

OP
T

taggart

Reaction score
not sure what the actual problem is, but apparently Motorola is aware of it and has found a fix. But again, thank you for the suggestions.

GahhItsLee

Reaction score
Not helpful but i really like that wallpaper can someone upload the picture on here? Ive been wanting a new background

DW0278

Reaction score
I'm glad I am not the only 1/10 of 1%. I am having the same problem will going to the store tomorrow to send it back. Unfortunately I do not have another phone to activate, so i am stuck till the new one gets here.

OP
T

taggart

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, better move fast. It seems the phone is going to be on back order for some time and the longer you wait the longer they take to ship.

DW0278

Reaction score
I had to laugh at CS in store when she told me the phone would be shipped in 2 days LOL. I asked about the back order and still stated it will ship in 2 days we will see

DW0278

Reaction score
Holy cow they told me it would ship in 2 day s and sure enough got a call from fed ex today saying it would be here tomorrow. So I ordered a new one to replace my defective one on 9/18 and it will be here on 9/21 who would have thought.