Screen durability

gohoosiers

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade my phone before the VZW plan changes in order to extend my unlimited data for another 2 years. I am trying to decide between the RAZR and Rezound and am leaning toward the Rezound because of better camera according to reviews I have read. However, I then discovered that the Rezound does not have Gorilla Glass. I know there are other manufacturers that may make glass just as good, but from my experience with my D2, I know I can't go wrong with Gorilla Glass. I have carried my D2 in my pocket for 2 years with no screen protector and it absolutely has no scratches whatsoever. Are there any pocket-carrying Rezound users that can say the same thing?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
My sister just cracked hers after if fell off a counter. I dropped mine onto concrete over the weekend, but screen is intact. Not a scratch.

Both phones fell on corners. Her's fell onto a wood floor. both phones were naked. Mine had extended battery, her's was stock.

Contrary to popular belief, Gorilla Glass DOES crack and shatter. It just has a much higher tolerance than normal glass. The Rezound's glass is a non-corning version of the same thing...IMO gorilla Glass is still better, but it is not a night and day difference. The Rezound's glass is comparable.

OP
G

gohoosiers

Reaction score
I understand if I drop it, all bets are off and it may shatter. My question is how does the screen hold up to being slid in and out of a pocket 50 times a day? My D2 screen looks brand new. Can any Rezound users say the same thing?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I understand if I drop it, all bets are off and it may shatter. My question is how does the screen hold up to being slid in and out of a pocket 50 times a day? My D2 screen looks brand new. Can any Rezound users say the same thing?
Oh that...yeah it is real glass. Glass screens never scratch very easily...mine is still in virtually new condition after 6+ months of pocketing. Only real way to scratch glass screens is with sand or rocks. Keys might scratch it too if they are ground against it at the right angle, but sand is the only common threat to glass screens IMO. Pretty much all modern smartphones have glass screens now. I can't think of any exceptions...the Droid X was the last one that I know for sure didn't.

My Droid 1 screen looks like new after over two years of heavy use.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I had a screen protector on for a few weeks but then took it off. Been through 3 or 4 phones since then and haven't had a protector on any of them. I carry them in my back pocket and aside from the first phone which I think my ex wife scratched slightly, I haven't had any issues.

TWC42

Reaction score
Good to read this thread. Had a screen protector on my Rezound since day one and it finally had enough wear and air bubbles that I took it off. It is definitely so much more responsive going naked. Concerned about scratches, but from the posts here, I guess I can relax and enjoy the bare screen.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I jinxed myself. As I sit here I just noticed a new scratch, in almost the exact same place my original got a scratch. Not bad, but I'll slap one of the protectors on it for a few months. At $6 shipped a two pack, you can easily pull and replace as needed.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I don't know what you people are doing to scratch up your phones heh heh. Mine has been dropped three times naked and still no scratches on the display.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Little pieces of grit on your finger can do much more damage than you'd think.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I Fire my posts with Blue Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd count that as sand though.

Sand is basically small rocks, and rocks will scratch glass. Not sure where your hands are that you are getting sand under them when using your touch phone screen heh heh. That would annoy the hell out of me personally. If the feel isn't smooth I'd want to immediately wipe my hands off.

Deelyles

Reaction score
I upgraded

From htc incrediable to the rezound, and I love it.

Deelyles

Reaction score
I use

Screen protectors with old htc incred, and now with my rezound. I usually just buy the cheaper ones or you know, Moderatly priced at amazon , like $10 for two. However I got my phone before they came so went to the version store a pursed
Some there and I really like them. The are smudged proof and anti glare, little pricey $15 for two but worth it and no air
Bubbles ,very
Easy to apply. Hope this help.