Screen doesn't work properly when plugged into computer's USB.

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
If i plug my Razr Maxx into my computer's USB port to charge, the touch screen begins behaving erratically. The screen isn't always responsive and if i try to type something, random letters are entered. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If i plug my Razr Maxx into my computer's USB port to charge, the touch screen begins behaving erratically. The screen isn't always responsive and if i try to type something, random letters are entered. Anyone else have this problem?

Two possible causes.

One, you are using a non-Motorola cable to connect with.

Two, your computer's power supply is failing and the 5V rail is being corrupted with dirty power.

If it's number two, you may have also recently started having unknown errors, blue screen of death, file corruption or other unexplained computer glitches. If so, I suggest you power down the PC as soon as possible, don't power up again until the supply is replaced. Running a computer on a failing supply, especially when it's the 5V rail, can result in a corrupted hard drive and potential loss of the operating system and also potential loss of personal data on the drive. I know, it happened to me.

Your local Geek shop [computer store] should have a computer power supply tester. They cost about 10 bucks. You plug the connectors from the supply into the tester, press a button and the power supply energizes and the tester displays if there is a problem. If you do not get Full green, replace the supply immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Last edited:
OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
Thanks. I use the USB cable that came with the phone so that isn't the problem. As for the computer, it's getting old and it was never very good to begin with. It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista. I have my files backed up and I'm in the market for a new one anyway.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, well the only issues I've ever heard (and seen myself) regarding the screen going whacky were either a non-Motorola wall adapter (the reason is dirty current - too much AC ripple and possibly RF interference), and water, dampness, dirt on the screen. If the issue isn't there when the phone is not plugged in, but appears when it is (and you're using the Motorola cable), then it's GOT to be dirty power. I would avoid using the USB port for the Inspiron 1525 if you can and at the very least you may want to consider replacing that power supply. They're pretty inexpensive. If you are not running a lot of hard drives and don't have a half-dozen high-end cards installed like dual Video accelerator cards, you can get away with a supply for somewhere in the 20-30 buck range. Otherwise replacing the computer altogether would be a solution.

Good luck! :biggrin:

jason638

Reaction score
mine does it to, but only when I connect to certain radios via the headphone jack. And even then its only certain ones. My car stereo is fine, Sirius boom box, gets all glitchy, I have to unplug it, select the song, then plug it back in

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
mine does it to, but only when I connect to certain radios via the headphone jack. And even then its only certain ones. My car stereo is fine, Sirius boom box, gets all glitchy, I have to unplug it, select the song, then plug it back in

This points to RF interference coming from the radio through the headphone jack and messing with the circuitry that determines the screen capacitances. Same problem, different source.

OP
ndtaylor77

ndtaylor77

Reaction score
I'm guessing the problem is with my charger.Phone works perfectly fine unless my laptop is charging.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm guessing the problem is with my charger.Phone works perfectly fine unless my laptop is charging.

OK! So there IS an explanation. I should have been more intuitive but you came through. Good troubleshooting and yes, it is related to a poorly regulated or poorly RFI protected power supply. The disturbance isn't enough to cause the laptop any grief, but due to the highly sensitive circuitry that determines finger locations on the screen of the phone, even the tiniest disturbance in the voltages can cause the screen to "see" presses that aren't happening and cause "ghost typing".

So now my recommendations to stay away from Motorola approved chargers extends to external chargers for other devices which may contribute to subsequent problems with the RAZR while connected via USB.

I would be EXTRA CAREFUL not to use the USB connection while the LAPTOP CHARGER is plugged in, not just to prevent erratic screen issues, but also to prevent the phone from doing things you might just later regret like, calling your boss's cell phone at 3:00am while you're sitting up in bed and doing a data transfer, or accidently deleting something from memory or an email account that is unrecoverable and crucial to your job, wife, home, survival, etc...

nemcnick

Reaction score
I do not think this is the solution forf everyone

OK! So there IS an explanation. I should have been more intuitive but you came through. Good troubleshooting and yes, it is related to a poorly regulated or poorly RFI protected power supply. The disturbance isn't enough to cause the laptop any grief, but due to the highly sensitive circuitry that determines finger locations on the screen of the phone, even the tiniest disturbance in the voltages can cause the screen to "see" presses that aren't happening and cause "ghost typing".

So now my recommendations to stay away from Motorola approved chargers extends to external chargers for other devices which may contribute to subsequent problems with the RAZR while connected via USB.

I would be EXTRA CAREFUL not to use the USB connection while the LAPTOP CHARGER is plugged in, not just to prevent erratic screen issues, but also to prevent the phone from doing things you might just later regret like, calling your boss's cell phone at 3:00am while you're sitting up in bed and doing a data transfer, or accidently deleting something from memory or an email account that is unrecoverable and crucial to your job, wife, home, survival, etc...

I have always had this problem no matter what I use for the power source. It happens when I use wall power with the cable and adapter that came with my Razr Maxx or with the proper USB cable and any of 8 different computers via USB ports. I have tried 3 cables as well (the original that came with the phone and two replacement cables I purchased). I simply unplug the phone when I have to use it. Fortunately the phone charges fast so even if the battery is very low I can interrupt charging to respond to text messages and emails. Perhaps in my case the problem is within the phone, but I have heard this happen to so many others I have to wonder if the problem is not more of a systematic issue with this model.

cris

Reaction score
My first razr was great till the screen cracked. the replacement was ok till I charged it. It would freak out. Open apps and flash and do crazy stuff. If I unplugged it or was ok. Plug it back in. Freakout. Sent that phone back for another one. Same deal. Sent that one back and managed to get them to send a new one. Not a CLN (certified like new) and no issues. Of you have tried 3 chargers and cables and still got the same issue I would send it back of your still under warranty.

jsandy

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my rooted Razr Maxx. I use my phone as my primary internet source using FoxFi and so when I'm home my phone is plugged into the wall outlet. If I make/receive a call or text I have to unplug to reliably use my phone.

xkaru

Reaction score

This is caused by a build up of static electricity, use your free hand to touch anything metal when using your phone while plugged into a computer. for me its my laptop so i just touch the microphone port next to the headphone port since its right there but really any metal not directly attached to the phone will work

Using Samsung Galaxy S3