Screen dead zone

jfmoseley410

Reaction score
I'm brand new to Droids and to this forum as well. I've spent some time today reading and searching through the various posts but have not found a description of my issue. I will say that I suspect that it is a hardware failure of some sort.

The problem I am having is dead zone. A portion of the left section of my screen does not respond to touch. Consequentially, any button or icon that is in that section does not respond as well. What I am doing in the interim is switching to a wide view, which moves some of the icons into another zone. This does nothing of course for the menu button, which simply does nothing at all.

As I stated earlier, I suspect, or fear may be a better word, that this is a hardware failure and nothing sort of repair or replacement will suffice. What I am hoping is that someone out there has found either a cure or a work around that would allow me to have the necessary menu button. It is very hard to do anything with applications without it.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Jon

droidphone23

Reaction score
That is probably a malfuntion in the system so if you havn't already then go to your local verizon store and ask them to do a system reboot as this may delete all your apps it may help but I make no promises that it will work because I've seen an adroid phone not work with the reboot. Hope this helped.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

louy99

Reaction score
Sounds like a broken digitizer to me. They sell those online but it involves taking the whole phone apart. If you've had the phone less than a year or have insurance, id take it to Verizon and get a replacement

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
J

jfmoseley410

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I bought this phone off Craigslist so I am sure the warranty will not be honored. How difficult is it to replace a digitizer?

louy99

Reaction score
IMO, difficult. I've seen people on this forum try it with success and some with no success. I'm sure with the right tools and knowledge it can be done with no problems.

louy99

Reaction score
[video=youtube;6d7ETMfgq2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7ETMfgq2s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Here is a digitizer removal of a Droid 1. Pretty much the same phone.

OP
J

jfmoseley410

Reaction score
Thank you for your candor. After viewing the disassembly video I am certain I will not be able to perform this surgery successfully. I will have to live with my circumstance until I can replace the phone. Thank you so much for your advice. It was exactly what I was looking for.

JobMcKee

Reaction score
Digitizer replacement not the problem

Hey guys, I am new here but certainly not new to hardware. I just finished replacing the digitizer on my friend's Droid, because he broke the front glass (digitizer). So, I took the WHOLE THING apart, and put it back together. (My original goal was to replace the power button and digitizer.) So, I was elated when the power button worked on the first press. However...
Previously, about 40% of the screen, bottom right, was a dead zone. IS a dead zone; even after a brand-new digitizer. I am a bid sad; what else could cause a dead zone in a digitizer, besides the touchscreen?! Maybe the logic board?

I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I would appreciate any input, or at least am glad to leave this bit of advice:
dead zones aren't always the digitizer (sadly).
I'd take it to Verizon and let them refurb it. That's what I'm doing tomorrow!

kcoldie

Reaction score
HTC Wildfire S touch screen dead zone

I'm having a similar problem with a screen dead zone and phantom screen clicks which drive me nuts! I did a little draw test of the screen swiping back and forth in (vaguely) straight lines and the attached pic was the result. Clearly something funny going on where the line jumps. Any ideas if this is the same problem as above (replacement digitiser needed)? View attachment 63601
I own the phone outright, have had this problem for a few months, have done a few factory resets but to no avail.