Screen cracked within 48 hours of having the RAZR

Gucci1040

Reaction score
I got my droid razr last thursday and dropped it friday night and it cracked. It's not severe as I can rub my thumb across it and not get cut or anything. Since it happened so soon after I got it would verizon fix it for free or do I just have that bad of luck? Thanks in advance

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well since you dropped it, its really on you. But, if you talk to vzw, explain the situation... sometimes the stars can line up and things can happen. I hope things work out for ya :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Caesars

Reaction score
I'd say talk to Verizon and HOPE for the best, good luck mate,

OP
G

Gucci1040

Reaction score
Well I gave verizon a call and they said the best they could do was give me a preowned phone. Good to know my luck still sucks haha

Caesars

Reaction score
Well damn, I guess it's better than nothing. You can also check motorola directly and ask how much to fix it. I know it sucks but I am 100% against clnrs :-(

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its about 150$ to have moto fix it. CLNR devices can be a pita, but sometimes they're just as good if not better than some of the devices people get new out of the box. Its a little game of CLNR roulette, Unfortunately .

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

nobreak1970

Reaction score
I pray it works out for you. Now I would definitely recommend an Otterbox for your replacement.

OP
G

Gucci1040

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm just gonna keep it since it's not that bad. The screen is still smooth, just ugly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If go for the Pre-owned phone. It's Certified Like New, meaning it is restored to brand new condition and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

AnnMarieYbarra

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the Galaxy III screen cracking because of temperature (todays temp in MI 55)? I was outside with my phone, let on table and returned to the screen cracked. I have had nothing but difficulties with this phone. Literally had to replace 6 times since I purchased in June. Just returned because of a cracked screen. Luckily Costco replaced, because of so many returns, the last phone with cracked screen and thinking they will not do again. Anyone else having this problem? Insurance deductible is to high; especially for a defective phone!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Screens have been known to crack due to temperature changes, increases, decreases. What usually causes the crack is a microscopic hairline fracture along an edge, too small to see with the naked eye, but it essentially creates a point of "stress relief". This then coupled with the temperature changes causes the glass to expand every so slightly in an uneven fashion and that stress reliever decides to take off across the screen.

To help explain, when glass is cut, it is "scored" or essentially scratched along its surface, which creates a point of stress (a fault-line or path of least resistance). Then the glass is bent along that stress line and the hopes are that the glass will break cleanly along that line. Now, I don't think you created a score line on the screen, but you could have dropped it, even a short distance or bumped it along an edge, and though there was no visible damage, the stress fracture could have been created unbeknownst to you.

Also this can happen during manufacturing, so I am not saying it was you that caused it. If the glass is bumped on an edge in the assembly line before being inserted into the phone, that stress fracture could have been there all along. It doesn't need to be long, even a millimeter long is enough to set the stage for a catastrophic failure like you experienced.

Finally, batteries which can swell during charging or discharging can also create added stress and cause the same results.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget the most important factor here, either. These hardened glasses are under constant internal stress. A microscopic flaw in the glass can cause sudden failure because of this.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Dave, you are 100% correct, not only hardened, but chemically altered at the surface level due to a high temperature chemical bath causing ion exhange, and yet still "normal" glass deeper within the internal structure. This process increases the stress differential between the surface and center of the glass as well (though they would argue it decreases the surface stress...which is correct). You raised a very good point, and gives my explanation even greater credibility.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know, reading about it seems that there might be something about the GS3's screen that makes it more prone than average for sudden failure with no provocation. Maybe the new Gorilla Glass 2 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Excuse the pun. I couldn't help myself *LMAO*

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
ROFLOL!! :rofl3::rofl3: