Screen Blacks out AFTER calls

Reaction score
My Moto droid has been acting up these past few days. After a phone call I would take the droid away from my ear and the screen would stay black. I cant hang up I cant press anything, i cant even use the power button to get my screen back. The call is still in session though because i can still hear the persons voicemail, or whatever on the line. I have to pull the battery and soft reset the phone.

I've un installed all the apps that I downloaded since it started happening and I still have the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's a simple fix, I really hope it's not a hardware problem.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like there were a few other people that had this problem, did you try searching first? I don't know if those issues were resolved, but you might have better luck posting in one of those threads..

I don't remember seeing an inrto thread from you, so this will be my personal welcome.. ;)
Hope you get it worked out!

OP
certifiedfryguy
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! I did actually search and post in another thread but it hasn't been answered. I'll give it some time.

jmhollow

Reaction score
I am having the same issue as well. I have not found any suggestions or fixes on there.

ivduke

Reaction score
This may sound stupid....

But it worked for me...

I bought a case off the internet (not from verizon) and from the moment I put it on had the same problem. I compared it to the Verizon version and found that there was an area in the upper left hand side of the phone with a cut out on the Verizon model. I cut a matching hole into my dgeneric case and the phone has worked great ever since. Evidently there is a sensor up there.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
But it worked for me...

I bought a case off the internet (not from verizon) and from the moment I put it on had the same problem. I compared it to the Verizon version and found that there was an area in the upper left hand side of the phone with a cut out on the Verizon model. I cut a matching hole into my dgeneric case and the phone has worked great ever since. Evidently there is a sensor up there.

Yes, there is a proximity sensor at the top of the phone. There was some discussion awhile back about a case that could be put on upside-down which would cover up the sensor. There was also some speculation that thick screen protectors could limit the effectiveness of the proxy sensor.

Download the app "Sensor List" and look at the Proximity Sensor display. Try moving your hand towards and away from the sensor. Mine displays 2.147... when there is nothing sensed and 3.0 when something is close (a binary sensor rather than an actual range-finder). You can use that app to test to see if the case or screen protector are effecting the sensor.