Screen black out repeatedly in dialer

svancouw

Reaction score
When using the dialer or answering calls, my screen will sometimes black out repeatedly. It blacks out, and usually comes back after moving the phone (i.e. tilting it), but it immediately blacks out again. I have to fiddle with it to get the screen to stay on long enough to dial a number. This morning the screen wouldn't turn on to let me answer a call. Turns out the screen was working as I pressed the answer button even with the screen completely black.

I have searched but not found an answer to this. The only "fix" I have found is to reboot the phone when this happens. Have any of you heard of this before? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

I'm running 2.2 with the latest updates (Verizon Droid2), and I'm NOT rooted yet :)

So far as I can tell this did not start after installing any apps.

Last edited:

blazersls

Reaction score
This happens to me also.Special when i go to check my voice mail.It will black out and then sometimes pop back on...then black again.At this point i can not make any selections.Only fix is to turn it off and back on.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The top left corner of the droid has a proximity sensor. if you cover it during a call, the screen will turn off so you don't hang up on someone with your cheek. if you keep your hands (or face) away from that area during calls you should see the screen.

OP
S

svancouw

Reaction score
If I cover tbat part of the screen the screen does not turn off. Any ideas on what else might cause it?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
S

svancouw

Reaction score
Well, it happened to me again, and I was very careful to keep my hand away from the top half of the phone. Even so the screen would turn off, then back on when I tilted the phone and then immediately turn black again. This did not happen until after I dialed the number and held it up to my ear to listen.

This time I was able to stop it by giving the phone a light smack, but I don't want to keep doing this as a solution. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.