Screen and/or cursor jumping around

Issemann

Reaction score
I've searched all over God's green earth and haven't found one answer :cus:

This issue is driving me crazy. I sometimes find that my Dinc likes to move the cursor when I'm typing a message and/or jump around from screen to screen all on its own. What's really interesting is that it's always moving to the left - either in a message or from screen to screen.

Logic says there's either some dirt on the optical trackball, or I've got a more serious issue on my hands. I've cleaned the trackball numerous times, but still no luck.

I have been flashing a number of ROMs lately (still searching for the right one). Is it possible that something got screwed up? I'm currently running UD8, but it's happened with all of the ROMs I've tried thus far. That leads me to believe it's probably a hardware problem.

Whatever it is, it's the most annoying thing I've ever experienced!! Please HELP!!!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To confirm its not one of the roms you are using make a backup and go back to stock. If all is well you can then just reroot and install your latest backup. If the issue persists then bring your stock phone into a store and let them see it occurring. They'll either fix it or will replace your phone for you.

Just to check....this occurs while you aren't charging? Sometimes a bad cord or aftermarket charger can do strange things while the phone is plugged in.

OP
Issemann

Issemann

Reaction score
Just to check....this occurs while you aren't charging? Sometimes a bad cord or aftermarket charger can do strange things while the phone is plugged in.

Doesn't matter if it's plugged in or not. It occurs in both scenarios.

PS: Going back to stock as we speak. Let's see if this works.

Oh well... Unrevoked, unrooted and went back to stock 2.2 and it's still happening!! Ughhh.... This is going back to Verizon today. If anyone has any other ideas before 5:00 pm EST, then please let me know. Thx!

Last edited:

Logan176

Reaction score
I had this same glitch the other day. I was trying to get back to my home screen and it kept moving to the leftmost home screen. I would try swiping to go back but the phone wouldn't allow it. Removing the battery solved the problem for me. This is just one of the random glitches I get with my DINC.

daveyjones

Reaction score
I've searched all over God's green earth and haven't found one answer

Yes! This is exactly how I feel. I have searched all over and find no definitive answer. Sorry to reply/post in the DINC forum, but it seems an issue that spans droid models. This has been happening on my HTC Eris running Android 2.1

The screen jumps to far left constantly (wants to scroll to left most desktop out of 6). Also, when typing, the cursor will jump to far left and start typing there instead. It has gotten steadily worse in last week.

I deleted almost all my apps, and cleaned the sd card. I would reboot to scratch but from what I've heard that doesn't work. It happens when charged or not plugged in the same. I have removed the battery, checked, restarted, etc.

Please can anyone help? What is going on here!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
:welcome: to the forums, daveyjones!

Bad digitizer/sensor for the touch screen seems to be the issue.

Take it to the Verizon store and show them, like christim suggested. See what they say.

daveyjones

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take it in to VW, but am worried. If they replace the phone will my apps still work? I used an app called Backup to backup "Device" but not sure where it backed up the files to, and saw no option for apps. I have a Storm8 game I don't want to lose, only issue, all my other stuff is backed up on Google account.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Backups like that generally go the SD card. Make a copy of the SD card on your PC just in case they don't let you keep your old card if they give you a new phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Depending, though, all you'll get are your SMS messages and stuff backed up from that app. Unless you're rooted the backups won't be very complete. On the other hand, if you have sync and data backups turned on you should get all your old apps downloading as soon as you activate your new phone and sign into your Google account. Any app that isn't device-specific will work on any Android device as long as the sceen/processor/version of Android OS are compatible.

Dstraut

Reaction score
Try clicking/cleaning off the joystick, I had the same problem and that's all it was

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

sxfranklin

Reaction score
Same issue. Now on my third phone in 4 weeks... and they all have the same issue of the "jumping screen to the left" ...especially when i plug it in. Same issue with the "cursor moving to the left"... So my expert friends have said this is a "firmware" issue with the Verizon/HTC upgrade. And they recommended getting another phone. Which i may have to do ...BECAUSE THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! (anyone find a solution?)

OP
Issemann

Issemann

Reaction score
So my expert friends have said this is a "firmware" issue with the Verizon/HTC upgrade. And they recommended getting another phone. Which i may have to do ...BECAUSE THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! (anyone find a solution?)

Yup. Need to get a new phone. That's what I did and the replacement is running fine since October 2010. Bad thing is that the replacement Dinc they gave me has an LCD screen (instead of the original AMOLED). It's not terrible, but you can tell the difference.

Rphi3788

Reaction score
I also had this problem it was from dirt being the trackpad.. whiping it off didn't do any good.. I had to blow air into it using a lil air compressor