Scrath on screen, take it back or live with it?

Should I exchange my Droid for a new one?

• Yes, you might as well take advantage of the return policy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's just a scratch, get over it and move on, phone still works!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Scratch on screen, take it back or live with it?

OK, by "take it back" I mean exchange it for a new Droid.

I got the first scratch on the screen today. Right across the center of the screen. My best guess is that it came from my keys. I placed the phone in the same pocket very briefly as I ran out to the truck to get something. Lose fitting workout shorts so not like a lot of pressure was on the phone. Really surprised it scratched after all I've heard about how tough the screens are.

So down to my question. I have another week left on my initial 30 days and bought the phone and Costco so it wouldn't be a hassle at all to go and exchange it. Though, wondering if I should? I am careful with the phone but I'm not going to put a case or screen protector on, even if I do get a new one. I don't like the added bulk of cases or the decreased sensitivity of the screen protector. So, it would be likely, but not a guarantee that I would scratch it again anway.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
i put no on the poll...but, for me, it would depend on how bad the scratch is. if it was decent size and got in the way at all, of video viewing or browsing, then yeah i would take it back...but other than that, i wouldnt...personally

xjman349

Reaction score
I voted no as well. One of the reasons that the prices for new phones are so high is because of people causing damage to their phones and then returning them. You clearly stated you are the one that scratched your screen, I don't think Verizon, Costco, or Motorola should have to pay for you scratching your screen. Just my opinion.

Kdubbjr

Reaction score
I say try to live with it for a few days and if you can't might as well. At least you made an attempt.

GenkiElite

Reaction score
Bring it back to my store so I can tell you to go screw yourself. What makes you think they'll let you exchange for the exact same phone if "you" damaged it. Make an insurance claim if it bugs you that much.

OP
Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Bring it back to my store so I can tell you to go screw yourself.

Why would I want to do that?

What makes me think they'll take it back? I answered that in my first post (which apparently you didn't bother to read) because I bought it at Costco, which has a no questions asked return policy.

No where in my post did I mention or even hint to being deceitful, if that's how you read into things then maybe that's a personal problem you need to deal with.

Thanks for the feedback

OP
Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
I was able to exchange the phone. Tried it out for a few days, but the scratch was right down the middle of the screen and I would feel it every time I used the phone.

I went in and told them outright, "I goughed my phone, can I exchange it?" Then showed them.

Guy asks my how I did it, I say, "I think it was my fingernail clippers, but can't be certain"

So he says, "Sure, no problem"

I have nothing but good things to say about the customer service department at Costco:)

gruve

Reaction score
I wonder how well that would go down with Best Buy. I have a scratch in the middle of my phone as well, my 30 day return expire soon.

OP
Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Keys can't scratch it but finger nail clippers can?

I'm really not sure how I scratched it, but that's the only thing that comes to mind. If I did place the phone in my pocket with my keys (like I originally though) it was just for a brief moment. Even the fingernail clippers was only for a moment. I am super careful with my phone so it was a surprise to see the scratches on it.

Spartan

Reaction score
I'd just clean the screen really good and put a Steinheil Crystal screen protector on it. I doubt you would ever notice it then. I probably only would return it if it had bigger issues. I wouldn't want a refurbished unit.

ShowTime

Reaction score
OK, by "take it back" I mean exchange it for a new Droid.

I got the first scratch on the screen today. Right across the center of the screen. My best guess is that it came from my keys. I placed the phone in the same pocket very briefly as I ran out to the truck to get something. Lose fitting workout shorts so not like a lot of pressure was on the phone. Really surprised it scratched after all I've heard about how tough the screens are.

So down to my question. I have another week left on my initial 30 days and bought the phone and Costco so it wouldn't be a hassle at all to go and exchange it. Though, wondering if I should? I am careful with the phone but I'm not going to put a case or screen protector on, even if I do get a new one. I don't like the added bulk of cases or the decreased sensitivity of the screen protector. So, it would be likely, but not a guarantee that I would scratch it again anway.

Have you ever tried a screen protector on your phone or experimented with another phone with one on it? I messed around with mine for about 40min in the Verizon store when I bought it, before I bought and put a screen protector on it. I've noticed no significant decrease in sensitivity and still have what I'd describe as perfect functioning. (Granted I know 40min isn't a ton of time to really get a feel for everything...) Maybe it's just me/my phone but I've always thought some people on here overhype the screen protector+sensitivity issue. Plus, I'd rather keep my screen scratch free and deal with aminiscule amount of decreased sensitivity than scratch it and possibly be stuck with it. Just my .02

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're still going to refuse to use a screen protector and case on the replacement, why bother replacing it to begin with? Without some sort of protection, it will eventually get some scratches and scuffs on it.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I love Costco as well. When my 360 got the RROD, they exchanged it and even asked me if I wanted them to copy the data to the new one.

They have great filet mignons as well :)