School emails through Outlook

Beka27

Reaction score
I searched and didn't find a definitive answer. Do I have to install an additional app to receive my school ".edu" email on my phone. It will not forward through my gmail at all (I've already tried.) Is there a walk-thru/link somewhere for this? Can I just add the email into my accounts, even if it comes from the school domain?

I'm confused.

GeLopez

Reaction score
Use the email app and setup a new account, you are going to need the incoming/outgoing mail server names and ports.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
I don't really know anything about outlook at all. Just how to login and check my emails. Where would I find this?

sbrockel

Reaction score
I don't really know anything about outlook at all. Just how to login and check my emails. Where would I find this?
Under accounts in your droid,,,enter the settings,,get them from the information you add when you remotely (directly to server, not through outlook on your computer) access your school email,,,same settings you use to change a password.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
I'll have to do some more research. I go to my school's website and login there for my email. I don't login anywhere else. Thank you for the input. :eek:)

(from Beka's DX)

SquintyOS

Reaction score
Looking to use your droid x to receive your .edu emails?

I am a college student in Virginia who has multiple emails accounts tied to my Droid Pro.

Now. Every school email client is different so I will go by my server.

1. You don't exactly need an outside application to connect. All you really need is your phone's email client. Go into that and pick add account,

2.Type your whole school email address into username and password into password.

3. Unclick "Automatically configure account*

4. General settings are the name you send emails as an account name for your .edu email ('School Email' does nicely here)

Now to the more technical parts

5.Incoming Server is where you choose what kind of server. POP downloads the messages to your phones (you have to delete messages from your account and phone) and IMAP server which is basically working with your email server in real-time. You will need your information; Mine used the gmail sever so I filled the blanks in with gmail's stock settings for whichever server I used. Under advanced is where you'll type the port number of the server as well as your security settings.

6. Outcoming Sever - Ditto to above just using outserver info.

Sorry for the huge mess. Hopefully this will give some lay down to what you need to do.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do I have to install an additional app to receive my school ".edu" email on my phone.
Impossible to answer without knowing what type of account your school has. Can you at least specify what school it is? Many seem to have guides available via the internet for setting up various mail clients. I've lost count of the number of times I've answered this for other student with a Google search. You can also ask your school's help desk for this info.

Outlook doesn't mean a thing as it supports a number of different mail servers. Additionally, Outlook is a mail client and your device won't receive mail via Outlook.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The majority of EDU accounts use Gmail now.

Format: IMAP
Incoming: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Authorization required (for both)
Login: Your email address

LastLaugh

Reaction score
i use outlook thru an .edu email as well...and i cant get it to work on my phone either

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use EDU and it's been working since day one.

Reaction score
My school email is done through outlook express. I am guessing that is what you all are referring to. In that case you will need the server name for incoming and outgoing. This should be said in the computers/tech help section on the school website. If you cant find it, I'm sure you can ask someone in the tech help area at the school and they can tell you. My schools server is ironhost.uncc.edu for both incoming and outgoing. So if you inform us what university you attend I'm sure we could help you find out.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Contrary to what a previous poster said most schools run their own exchange servers. While there are a few that use google servers even they will use the exchange configurations. With that said because of the legality and privacy issues very few schools will allow students to access the accounts on mobile devices (many won't even allow the instructors except for on 'secured' devices) that is why they setup webmail access portals. Best/quickest thing is to contact your schools IT department and ask them what their policies are for students and for the configuration info (if it's allowed they will have the info readily available).

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
I'll try and do some more research on this. It's not a BIG deal if I can't get the email on my phone... I can just login from home before and after school. (Although, it would be nice...)

I attend a community college in Cleveland: Cuyahoga Community College. If anyone know info on this and can share, that'd be great. The domain (or whatever) is @acad.tri-c.edu

In the meantime I'll try to search these "port" things...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does the school provide a web portal for you to access your mail via the internet (e.g. something like webmail.acad.tri-c.edu or something)? If it does you might be able to get your answer (though for a community college I doubt they all mobiles). If they have the web portal if there a menu at the top with "options" within that section there will be a 'mobile devices' section (this is were you would go to lock/wipe a device remotely). If it's there you have your answer (somewhat, they may limit devices) if it's not there you are SOL.

OP
Beka27

Beka27

Reaction score
I've searched up and down thru the mail options and everything. I don't see anyway to sync it. There isn't even an option to "forward" to my gmail.

Like I said, NOT a big deal. I'm on track to graduate in May so this is not a huge deal to me. I am almost outta that place!!!

Thank you for your help tho! I appreciate it!