Scary update

mike2636

Reaction score
I just got an "update" for email to activate device administrator. It warns about doing all manner of very scary things like:
Erase all data
Limit Password
Watch Login Attempts
Force Lock

This LOOKS like some kind of virus/trojan/malware that wants to hack my Droid and all my email accounts.
Is it legit?
Can update send me bad stuff?

Thanx
Mike

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Are you connecting to an Exchange server for email? This is a security update part of the latest Froyo that businesses have been begging for.

Your exchange admin can send a wipe command to your device if you lose it or you get fired, etc....

Stretch2m

Reaction score
It's not a virus.

An Exchange Server administrator has the ability to set up the server only to accept mobile device clients that support certain remote-administration features, such as: ability to wipe your data without warning; ability to watch how many times you enter a wrong password; force you to enable password protection on your phone; etc.

In previous versions of Android, the Exchange account setup was somehow getting around these server policies. The newest version of Android (2.2) has attempted to close several of these security holes in the Exchange Account setup. Thus, when updating to the new Android OS, suddenly your Exchange email - which you have been happily syncing without having to grant someone else control over your own phone - has begun to obey the policies set up by your Exchange administrator. Thus the scary prompt.

Having said that, if you are rooted, you have the option of downloading hacks that bypass these policies. I am not advocating one way or another, but merely stating that such options exist. Personally, I absolutely despise having a password on my phone. I wouldn't care so much about granting an admin the ability to remote-wipe, but I hate having to put in a password every time I want to get to my widgets and apps.

OP
M

mike2636

Reaction score
Thx for the replies. I do hit an Exchange server for some mail. I was just worried about granting access to my phone to anyone.