Scarlett Johansson & Luc Beeson Team Up for Sci-Fi Thriller Called 'Lucy'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;MVt32qoyhi0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MVt32qoyhi0[/video]​

This story is quite a bit off the beaten path as far as Android related content is concerned, but we thought it was cool enough to share just as an interesting conversation starter. There are a ton of exciting looking sci-fi/action movies coming out this year, like Captain America: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Interstellar and many more. A new trailer was just released of a movie that none of us here at HQ had heard of, but were pleasantly surprised by.

It's called simply, "Lucy," but it is not a spinoff of the Charlie Brown cartoons. Lucy is a sci-fi action thriller starring the easy-on-the-eyes Scarlett Johansson. It is being directed by Luc Besson, who is no stranger to crafting kick-ass female characters. As an example of that, this is the same guy who directed The Fifth Element. This latest creation is similar in theme to the Bradley Cooper movie, Limitless, but takes on a darker tone and is focused more on action instead of drama.

Here's a plot synopsis of the movie: Lucy is an everyday-average woman (although few would call ScarJo average), who is traveling abroad, and is forced into becoming a drug mule for an Asian drug cartel. She is assaulted en route which causes some of this experimental drug to leak into her blood-stream in such a way that she gains super-genius intelligence and starts mutating/evolving with superhuman powers.

It looks like it could be a fun action, sci-fi popcorn romp, and might even include some interesting philosophical questions. Sound off and let us know what you think of this movie trailer.

Also, let us know what you think of your HQ staff adding the occasional off-topic news piece to your daily Android news!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't get the ScarJo thing. If she wasn't famous and I passed her on the street, I don't think she'd warrant a second look. But to each his own!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Two things.

First, the whole "humans only use 10% of their brain" is so wrong. We use all of our brain, thats why its up there. Our conscious self may only take up 10% of it at any given time depending on the stimuli around us, but that doesn't mean only 10% is used. Our body does a lot of things autonomously like digesting food, filtering poisons out of our body, breathing, keeping our heart beating. You don't think to do that, it just does it.

Second, I don't mind having off topic things on slow news days show up, but maybe have them off on the side bar. Shoot, you can have stuff over there all the time. Make a forum dedicated to it and have a few of the top posts linked on the home page, but off on the side like you do for the polls or something.

Just my .02¢

vertical

Reaction score
I, for one get the ScarJo thing... I think that most celebrities on the street are not recognized. There are the few ultra stars that are, but I have seen a lot of folks that are celebs that I didn't notice, and thought back afterword, "Wait... That was XYZ" But I am not a person who is often starstruck. The only person I have really done that with, and it was more, a "Holy crap... That dude is ROCK and ROLL!" was Billy Idol when I saw him entering the VIP area of a club in Vegas years ago. Homeboy shook every bouncer's hand without skipping a step or being held up, then stood facing the crowd (going backward) on the escalator and lit a cigarette as he ascended to VIP land. HAHA! Also, Derek Jeter, and Cal Ripken Jr walked by and I didn't give them a second look.

Anywho... I think this will be a great 2 hours spent in a dark room! My only hiccup right now is her ability to change her hair color and length. I think that might be pushing it a bit, but I am pumped to see it!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
First, thank you for posting something to mix things up a bit here on Droidforums. Maybe Droidforums should evolve like Lucy, in that the forum is not just about Android, but about all things cool, technical (including Android) and sci-fi worthy.

Second, if I saw her on the street, and she wasn't a movie actress, I would look, but I look all the time, so nothing different there. I'm a guy, and it's what most guys do, so there.

Thirdly, the movie looks sick. I have to agree that they were going a little too far with the special effects. I agree with vertical, how do you change your hair color and length just by thinking about it. Could she change her ethnicity too? Manipulating genetics because of higher brain capacity seems far fetched. Maybe if she could project her thoughts outwardly, meaning she looks the same, but others see her differently, well, that would be more feasible. But, if that blue X-Men lady (forget her name) can do it, then why not Lucy. Maybe I'm over thinking it. OK, given it's a movie based on fiction, but when it's preceded with science, my brain starts breaking down the impossibilities.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Makeup artists are so dang good at their jobs that I've seen actresses that I thought looked fantastic until I saw pics of them without that makeup on. The ones that look killer without the makeup draw my cheers. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing the movie.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
But, if that blue X-Men lady (forget her name) can do it, then why not Lucy.

You're referring to Mystique, played by both Rebecca Romijn and Jennifer Lawrence...two women who I find just as attractive as Ms. Johansson.

A buddy of mine sent me the trailer for this earlier today, and I must admit that it piqued my interest. I'm not sure if I'll go see it in theaters, but it's definitely on my watch list.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Two things.

First, the whole "humans only use 10% of their brain" is so wrong. We use all of our brain, thats why its up there. Our conscious self may only take up 10% of it at any given time depending on the stimuli around us, but that doesn't mean only 10% is used. Our body does a lot of things autonomously like digesting food, filtering poisons out of our body, breathing, keeping our heart beating. You don't think to do that, it just does it.

Second, I don't mind having off topic things on slow news days show up, but maybe have them off on the side bar. Shoot, you can have stuff over there all the time. Make a forum dedicated to it and have a few of the top posts linked on the home page, but off on the side like you do for the polls or something.

Just my .02¢

On the side is very big thing for you. When_Harry_Met_Sally_041.jpg

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The one thing that drives me nuts is when actors hold the gun sideways! It doesn't look 'cool'...it's looks dumb! :big smile:

I'll probably wait to rent this one. Interstellar looks awesome. I'll definitely be going to that one. I bet it pulls in some outrageous Box Office opening weekend.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is an android forum we want 100% android all the time...j/k. Good to see a mix up every now and then.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As far as the movie will be a nice movie to watch once it come to google play or red box. But not something im going to watch at the theater.

J

JohnDroid

I hadn't heard of this movie until now but it sure looks good. ScarJo is hot, so that helps. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie now.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So what does it cost these days to go to a movie in the States? Here in Thailand it's $6. The best part is it's all reserved seating.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So what does it cost these days to go to a movie in the States? Here in Thailand it's $6. The best part is it's all reserved seating.
$10-$15.00 depending on where you see it. We have an iPic theatre here in Austin and it's pretty awesome. For $15.00 you get FREE all you can eat popcorn, a 'seat' that reclines all the way back (into a bed almost) and a blanket. They serve food, alcohol as well. Cool theatre. Expensive but worth the experience every once in a while.