Scared....please read

Discussion in 'Droid Charge Development' started by bigb0ss, Mar 27, 2012.

1. bigb0ss

bigb0ss New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I woke up this morning and experienced this scare before. A few months back almost a year I have a rooted Charge and no problems. (BTW, I posted the problem the first time and got it resolved). As I was saying, I woke up this morning and found that either Samsung/Verizon has an update that has to be done to my phone. The first time it happened I got stuck at the loading screen and how to reboot back to stock and re-root, which was scary I thought I had bricked my phone.

In short I am scared to do this OTA update and feel that my phone will be stuck again the "Samsung" loading screen as before.

Should I update or keep hitting "Update Later"?????

Thanks

2. TJF2011

TJF2011 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well... depends... ive heard a few people getting stuck at the boot animation.. so my personal opinion is no... you will lose root as well. You still rooted?? What you running?

Sent from my Charge running Eclipse and Peanut butter and jellt

3. lastname_firstname

lastname_firstname Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do not update if you are rooted. The risk of brick is much higher because the update has to match up with the stock os in order to install correctly. If you've modified or debloated your os the initial scan detects anomalies and halts installation, which is why you get stuck @ boot screen. The safest and unfortunately longest way around is to go back to stock and update, then reroot.

Or wait until a dev makes a new rom with the update integrated into it, and hit "update later" in the meantime...but the charges popularity is dwindling at best, so you'd be hitting ignore for quite a while

4. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am rooted and have been hitting the "update later" button for a few months now. Happy with the way it works now and do not want to start over by going back to stock. I did try to let the update load two times, but it failed both times because of root; however, I did not get stuck at the Samsung logo either time. The phone just went into recovery and I hit the "reboot now" option. Everything is normal. I do wish, I could stop the update from always popping up though.

5. JBrewer

JBrewer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fyi, you can stop the notification from popping if you want to stay on ep4 (but honestly fp1 is a better build).

Go to the /system/build.prop file and locate the following line:

" ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/EP4:user/release-keys "

Change the "EP4" to FP1" so it reads:

" ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FP1:user/release-keys "

Save and exit, reboot phone. Then go to the /cache/ folder and delete the update file. You may or may not have the file. If you dont, you're all set.

There's a lot of script in the build prop and many that have ep4 in it, so just go slow and make sure you change the line as printed above.

Sent from my SCH-I510

6. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did that, thanks for the tip.

7. TJF2011

TJF2011 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That must be the same Brewer from Chargeforums. He most definately knows what he is talking about. Glad he could help you out. FYI.... You will get more help if you go to Chargeforums as well. It is also a great site with lots of willing people.

8. JBrewer

JBrewer New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lol. Yup same. Brewer was already taken hence the "J".

Thanks for the kudos man! Guess ill be seeing you here as well.

Sent from my SCH-I510

Search tags for this page
2.3.6 gingerbread i405
ep4 i405
how to root verizon sch-i405 2.3.6
modify samsung sch-i405
root sch-1405 root 2.3.6

root sch-i405 gingerbread 2.3.6 download

rootear samsung sch-i405

sch-i405 2.3.6 rooted upgrade down

sch-i405 root

verizon integrated messaging says request failed please try