Scalding Hot HTC One M9 Fixed Via OTA Update Prior To Release!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Last week there were numerous reports that the HTC One M9 had overheated during a benchmark test. There were infrared images that showed the M9 being red hot while other flagships were cool. One explanation is that metal simply radiates more heat then plastic "DUH", but this explanation wouldn't be enough to ease consumer minds. HTC has already released an OTA update to address this "issue".

The update likely improves on the thermogenics of the device by throttling the 810 snapdragon. If it runs a bit slower it won't overheat. The changelog specifically states "thermal improvements". It goes on to further state that the device runs at approximately 9-10 degrees Celsius, and the highest temperature it will reach now is 40 degrees Celsius.

The other change that was mentioned in the changelog was camera improvements. The HTC One M9 reviews have been flooding the web and they all state the camera experience has been lacking. Hopefully this update will alleviate some of those camera issues like terrible low and mid light performance, and images turning out too warm and yellow in good lighting conditions.

via YahooNews

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, so let's put the latest and greatest processor into our phones so it will be the fastest thing out there. Oh wait...now it overheats! OMG, what do we do??? I know, let's throttle the processor down to slower speeds and it will run cooler... That works. (Guy in the back of the room) "Wouldn't we have accomplished the same thing for a lower price if we just went with a slower processor to begin with and also have been more profitable?" Room full of deer in headlights.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They had to do something....HTC is in a lifeboat with one oar left and the sharks are circling.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Anyone one know the clock speed before and after the "fix".

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Um...the speed was just above winter 2014???<deer in headlights..

droidcharms

Reaction score
So really, it's like saying M9 is likely going with same fate as the G flex 2, both have snapdragon 810 on them.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From what I've read, the update has no noticeable effect on performance. I think speed was one thing HTC has been doing right the last few years, so I wouldn't worry too much.

on the move..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So really, it's like saying M9 is likely going with same fate as the G flex 2, both have snapdragon 810 on them.

From what I've read, the update has no noticeable effect on performance. I think speed was one thing HTC has been doing right the last few years, so I wouldn't worry too much.

on the move..
Turns out it was a software incompatibility issue that the update fixed.
@droidcharms , there are no reports of the Flex 2 overheating.