sbf

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
Are you still having this problem? Also what ota are you on. If you sbf on official 2.2 update, you'll brick phone there's a new one and I used it to get update 2.2.1 so it works and you need rsd 4.8.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CellZealot

Reaction score
The band unlock radio hack has been done and I don't think Angdroid is going to figure it out...it involves the use of unreleased proprietary software to do it.

People don't "hunt down leaked SBFs" generally speaking.

They either know people who have access to them or they don't. ;)

Do you mind adding some references backing up this statement?[/QUOTE

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/96596-droid-2-global-unlock-foreign-sim-4.html

I posted a pic in that thread 2 weeks ago.

I can't post white paper on how it works if that's what you mean. :)

As I said there, I believe it's their intent to market the hack as a service and they are working on the means to do so without requiring that users send them their phones.

gifferjesus

Reaction score
Since your signature shows you as a member of TBH, might *you* have insight into SBFs? I personally don't care about the radio so much at this time, I don't travel abroad that often.

Jim10220

Reaction score
Sent it back...

I had the same problem with my droid 2 global, stuck on M, resetting doesn't work, and since in the Motorola bootloader you need a signed firmware you can't use update.zip so I sent it back. I believe that I have hurt numerous phones by rooting them and Verizon never really cared or just didn't notice. Last week I was rooting my friend's Droid X and I needed to flash the sbf but the battery was too low, so it wouldn't work. We brought it to the store played dumb, and although I suspect one of the people there could tell that we had rooted it, he didn't care and he gave my friend a brand new X. Don't worry I don't believe that they will care/be able to tel. And also they would need a person to check each one to see if it was rooted, and this problem is rather common as I have come to find so that would be rather expensive, and Motorola as well as Verizon would likely lose some customers if it charged everyone with this problem $250.

catchacold

Reaction score
Send it back? I dont totally agree with that. I am of the sang - You break it you fix it. Just me though. ;)

Jolly

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my droid 2 global, stuck on M, resetting doesn't work, and since in the Motorola bootloader you need a signed firmware you can't use update.zip so I sent it back. I believe that I have hurt numerous phones by rooting them and Verizon never really cared or just didn't notice. Last week I was rooting my friend's Droid X and I needed to flash the sbf but the battery was too low, so it wouldn't work. We brought it to the store played dumb, and although I suspect one of the people there could tell that we had rooted it, he didn't care and he gave my friend a brand new X. Don't worry I don't believe that they will care/be able to tel. And also they would need a person to check each one to see if it was rooted, and this problem is rather common as I have come to find so that would be rather expensive, and Motorola as well as Verizon would likely lose some customers if it charged everyone with this problem $250.

And people wonder why carriers and manufacturers are taking steps to keep people from Modifying phones. If you can't fix the phone don't modify it. It shouldn't be Motorola or Verizon's responsibility to absorb the cost of your mistake. It's practices like this that are going to ruin Android for everyone. You should have bought another battery and fixed the phone yourself instead of lying and manipulating the system to get a new phone. When the phones are so locked down you have to live with stock Vanilla don't cry because you did it. Team Black Hat works hard to bring us SBF files so that things like this don't happen. Do you think when they brick a phone they take it in and lie to get a new one? I can tell you the answer to that is NO the fix it or they take the hit because they know that practices like that are wrong and impact the entire community negatively. I know for a fact Cell Zealot went out and bought a consumer phone just to test the D2G SBF file and P3Droid majorly bricked his X and spent 2 days figuring out a way to fix it. These are just 2 examples who knows how much money and time TBH has spent to help us fix our phones instead of being dishonest. Next time try taking responsibility for your own actions instead of pawning your mistake off on someone else. What you did is bad for Android.

bizzshow

Reaction score

This is probably the reason that all these phones are getting locked down fix your problem or don't root its as easy as that but do you think Motorola and Verizon want to continue to foot the bill for your laziness I doubt it. And yea you should be paying for new phones because you made the decision to root and void your warranty

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
Jim I'll say what alot are thinking but don't want to write it...YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE! If you are too stupid to modify a phone then you should not do it and ruin it for everyone else. In your own admission you have ruined numerous phones ...all caused by YOU, not the carrier or manufacturer. I bet you are the same person who would sue any chance you get.
You and others like you need to man up and take responsibility for your actions, if you brick your phone go buy a new one. If you need help ask for it, read EVERYTHING TWICE before flashing a phone and then ask questions if you are unsure. The Android community is full of people willing to help, myself included...I probably help several people on average a week so hit me up if needbe. If I can't help ill point you in the right direction.

What is happening now in the industry is phones are being designed to be harder to modify because of the actions you and others are taking. Who can blame the carriers/manufacturers they simply can't subsidize stupidity!

For those who agree with me and don't want to get into a flame war with Jim...send me a pm if you would like.

robert600f4i

Reaction score
really

I too have messed things up. But the android community is always willing to help. Instead of making it harder for android/motorla to ignore us hacking their phones. Take part of ur day and ask for help if your embarrassed send a p.m. oh and hopefully ur carriers don't ever finds out and back charge u $500 a phone u scamed.

saulback

Reaction score

I won't continue to rip into Jim, I would just like to say something. I tried to sbf my droid X, but the battery got too low. Just like in Jim's case. Instead of taking it into Verizon I borrowed a friends droid, wired the battery terminals up correctly, and finished the sbf. Sure it was ugly, wires were hanging everywhere, and I was nervous about breaking it, but I fixed it. And it didn't cost Verizon a penny. Before just giving up, google it dammit! People have bricked their phones far worse and have brought them back from the dead.

NattyBee

Reaction score

And people wonder why carriers and manufacturers are taking steps to keep people from Modifying phones. If you can't fix the phone don't modify it. It shouldn't be Motorola or Verizon's responsibility to absorb the cost of your mistake. It's practices like this that are going to ruin Android for everyone. You should have bought another battery and fixed the phone yourself instead of lying and manipulating the system to get a new phone. When the phones are so locked down you have to live with stock Vanilla don't cry because you did it. Team Black Hat works hard to bring us SBF files so that things like this don't happen. Do you think when they brick a phone they take it in and lie to get a new one? I can tell you the answer to that is NO the fix it or they take the hit because they know that practices like that are wrong and impact the entire community negatively. I know for a fact Cell Zealot went out and bought a consumer phone just to test the D2G SBF file and P3Droid majorly bricked his X and spent 2 days figuring out a way to fix it. These are just 2 examples who knows how much money and time TBH has spent to help us fix our phones instead of being dishonest. Next time try taking responsibility for your own actions instead of pawning your mistake off on someone else. What you did is bad for Android.
indeed! Jolly is right. What's the cost of a new battery? $50? The way people cry about battery life, you'd think a spare battery would be worth it...when you lie to get a phone replaced, you are stealing. When you rooted, you KNEW the warranty wouldbe void. Take responsibility for your actions. You make all of us look bad when you do this. You JUSTIFY what Motorola is doing with locked bootloaders- it's people like you who make us all pay. The locked bootloader will become a trend due to you and others like you.
I rooted my D1, and I later broke the screen (cracked it very bad), but as I knew the warranty was void due to my modding the phone, I paid the full value to buy my Droid X. The VZW guy told me that i'd be able to get replacement due to my Insurance, he said "they won't check that you rooted, they'll just replace it"...
2 days after purchase my DX, I rooted it...one week later I bricked it...I was unable to get it working, even after sbf...you know what? I downloade sbf 4 times from different links, sbf'd many times before it took (was stuck in bootloop and factory recovery wouldn't allow me to wipe, lol)...at 2:30 am I finally got it to work...
The point is...as Jolly stated- P3 and TBH work very hard to give us these sbf's and by doing what you did, you just spit in their face...and shame the entire community.

Jolly

Reaction score
Jim I'll say what alot are thinking but don't want to write it...YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE! If you are too stupid to modify a phone then you should not do it and ruin it for everyone else. In your own admission you have ruined numerous phones ...all caused by YOU, not the carrier or manufacturer. I bet you are the same person who would sue any chance you get.
You and others like you need to man up and take responsibility for your actions, if you brick your phone go buy a new one. If you need help ask for it, read EVERYTHING TWICE before flashing a phone and then ask questions if you are unsure. The Android community is full of people willing to help, myself included...I probably help several people on average a week so hit me up if needbe. If I can't help ill point you in the right direction.

What is happening now in the industry is phones are being designed to be harder to modify because of the actions you and others are taking. Who can blame the carriers/manufacturers they simply can't subsidize stupidity!

For those who agree with me and don't want to get into a flame war with Jim...send me a pm if you would like.

I agree with you I didn't want to be that harsh but you're right. And further more Jim shouldn't be rooting any device if he has ruined so many phones. Stupid and lazy don't mix with Android modding. Jim needs to just go buy an iPhone, Something safe. I have been rooting and modding Android Devices a while now and no Device I have touched has ever been returned to the store.

Sent from my Droid X Running TranQ 3.6.0

Reaction score
cg735 did what he did just leave it at that all you guys are doing is bashing him, its done with just leave it alone.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
C

cg735

Reaction score
I must humbly disagree with the last few statements...
First... to preface what I am about to say, I have never in my 12 or 13 years of high speed internet access gotten in a message board war, but I must in this case since I started this thread after i bricked my phone trying to get it to be a stock android, android phone... i bricked it (stuck at the M), and got VZW to give me a new one gratis (minus a 30 odd dollar restocking fee that I was fine with (considering they paid next day air shipping))

Verizon is a multi billion dollar company, as is moto to a lesser extent. The hardware they retail together is deliberately crippled in order to allow them to squeeze every last cent from the consumer. The example I will use is the wireless hotspot vs. wireless tether paradox. The phone can do this feature natively, but verizon makes this not possible without paying them tribute. When the consumer attempts to maximize (or simply optimize) the hardware they bought weather at a subsidized or unsubsidized price, and the process is overly complicated, difficult or at times impossible, and the consumer breaks/brick/renders unusable a piece of hardware during the attempt, and then tries to get a new piece of hardware for free, how can you fault them...
Most likely VZW will get the old phone back, fix it and sell it again, with the consumer paying a fair restocking fee. But to fault the consumer for bricking a phone in the process of getting the phone to act like it should is absurd.
It is a victimless crime, the billion dollar corporate entity gets your 60, 120, 160 buck a month regardless, you have a new phone, and they have a refurbished one.

Oh, and the argument that it is people breaking their phones then trying to get vzw or whomever to replace it causes harder and harder levels of hardware protection furthering the downward spiral, i call shenanigans. The corporations do that regardless to get every last cent from the consumer they can.

Now to seep to a ad hominem level attack on anyone who would defend verizon, your probably a republican or libertarian, and to quote radiohead, when I am king you will be first against the wall.

Peace I'm out... I'm going overseas next week with my banging world phone all unlocked, romed and rooted out.

p.s. thanks dipset. go camron!

Jolly

Reaction score
I must humbly disagree with the last few statements...
First... to preface what I am about to say, I have never in my 12 or 13 years of high speed internet access gotten in a message board war, but I must in this case since I started this thread after i bricked my phone trying to get it to be a stock android, android phone... i bricked it (stuck at the M), and got VZW to give me a new one gratis (minus a 30 odd dollar restocking fee that I was fine with (considering they paid next day air shipping))

Verizon is a multi billion dollar company, as is moto to a lesser extent. The hardware they retail together is deliberately crippled in order to allow them to squeeze every last cent from the consumer. The example I will use is the wireless hotspot vs. wireless tether paradox. The phone can do this feature natively, but verizon makes this not possible without paying them tribute. When the consumer attempts to maximize (or simply optimize) the hardware they bought weather at a subsidized or unsubsidized price, and the process is overly complicated, difficult or at times impossible, and the consumer breaks/brick/renders unusable a piece of hardware during the attempt, and then tries to get a new piece of hardware for free, how can you fault them...
Most likely VZW will get the old phone back, fix it and sell it again, with the consumer paying a fair restocking fee. But to fault the consumer for bricking a phone in the process of getting the phone to act like it should is absurd.
It is a victimless crime, the billion dollar corporate entity gets your 60, 120, 160 buck a month regardless, you have a new phone, and they have a refurbished one.

Oh, and the argument that it is people breaking their phones then trying to get vzw or whomever to replace it causes harder and harder levels of hardware protection furthering the downward spiral, i call shenanigans. The corporations do that regardless to get every last cent from the consumer they can.

Now to seep to a ad hominem level attack on anyone who would defend verizon, your probably a republican or libertarian, and to quote radiohead, when I am king you will be first against the wall.

Peace I'm out... I'm going overseas next week with my banging world phone all unlocked, romed and rooted out.

p.s. thanks dipset. go camron!

You can disagree all you want but when the Manufacturers have the phones locked down so we can't do anything to them then it's not a victimless crime. It affects all users.Guess what it's happening. And guess what it's because of practices like this.

Sent from my Droid X Running TranQ 3.6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.