sbf vs fastboot files...please educate me.

eidian

Reaction score
So last night I decided to upgrade to 173 after reading all of the positive reviews on the leaked version. I was on 748 running in Infex with great satisfaction so it was a pretty big decision for me to want to upgrade the OS. This is what I did:

1) Disabled Safe Mode in Safestrap
2) Wiped cache and Dalvic cache (I didn't do a factory reset)
3) Flashed 744 via RSD lite
4) Re-rooted using Doomlord v3
5) Used Voodoo to temporarily unroot
6) OTA to 748
7) Checked to see if Voodoo retained root (it did and I temporarily rerooted)
8) Flashed 173 via stock recovery

What suprised me is that when I was back to 744, all of my non-rooted customizations were still there; I thought that the fastboot file would return the phone to an out-of-box stock state like an sbf (which is why I didn't do a factory reset in the first place). It was like upgrading down to 744 (the way that OTA upgrades retain customizations). I've used sbf's on my Droid X a few times so I was suprised to see that the same thing didn't happen with the fastboot file. So I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the inherit difference between sbf and fastboot files (i.e. how are they used differently)?
2) Was it just stupid random chance that everything updated to 173 without a hitch since I didn't do a factory reset from the onset?

Thanks in advance for your time.

custompro98

Reaction score
The fastboot and sbf files are almost the same thing. i believe sbfs can be flashed in clockwork and fastboot are flashed via rsd lite. as for the update, i think you did get lucky. updating to stock .173 from a .748 rom seems quite lucky because many stock things would be missing (especially in th3ory's roms :p)

Mytchh

Reaction score
The fastboot and sbf files are almost the same thing. i believe sbfs can be flashed in clockwork and fastboot are flashed via rsd lite. as for the update, i think you did get lucky. updating to stock .173 from a .748 rom seems quite lucky because many stock things would be missing (especially in th3ory's roms :p)
RSD Lite can flash sbfs. I'm pretty sure that's what the main purpose is.

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies but I'm still confused because RSD lite is required when installing either file.

Does the sbf contain the whole OS while the fastboot file only contains certain parts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
eidian

eidian

Reaction score
Is there a sbf released?

I haven't seen one announced. In fact, one person said that an sbf file is unnecessary because the fastboot file replaces all of the system files. And it does it without having to do a factory reset.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

Reaction score
While I can not talk about actual differences in the files, I can say with certainty that with fastboot files , you will not lose your user apps or data. You were not just lucky, this is the case for everyone if they choose not to wipe. With sbf, the phone it's completely wiped and you have to start over.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk