sbf recovery: .zip files vs .sbf files?

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by dgerej, Dec 24, 2010.

1. dgerej

dgerej New Member

I'm trying to set up a recovery file as a starting point before flashing my dx. I have downloaded RSD lite and two different sbf files. I'm looking for a way to save my current phone version somewhere in my laptop hard drive before I start flashing my phone. Please point me in the right direction. I'm unsure about what sbf files I should use as a back up for my phone.

I have read that corrupt sbf files may lead to a bricked phone. I have came across MD5sum while reading a thread and have no idea how it works. What is the best way to have a solid foundation before I attempt to root my phone? Thanks
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

you really cant backup ur phone (anything thats useful) before you root. it either works or it doesnt. after that you can make nandroid backups (using bootstrap) or use titanium backup (excellent app) to back up app & data
    HomePage : Titanium Backup - Wiki

you dont need sbf files unless you f up ur phone. and currently theres full ones for each bootloader so u cant really mess it up (using the wrong sbf can be fixed by using the right one). corruption usually comes by using the wrong sbf.

i wouldnt worry about md5sum errors. usually only happens when u restore a backup and its named incorrectly.
  3. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

here we go. im gonna keep it on the thread so other people can see.

PM from OP:

rooting wont brick it. just being careless with root once you have it (themes, roms, deleteing stuff) will.

sbf files are stock images of phones from vzw. only use these when you cant turn ur phone on.

z4root works fine for DXs. but id root AFTER the OTA update from vzw.
Search tags for this page

.sbf

backup and restore reading sbf file
convert zip file to sbf ubuntu

droid x recovery sbf

droid x sbf file

how to restore sbf file on android

restore android sbf file

restore sbf file

restore sbf file android
sbf backup file android
sbf recovery file