SayMyName

Purgatory

Reaction score
I wanted to let people know of a great app as I have not seen mentioned before called SayMyName. There are three versions, original for 1.5, donut for 1.6, and eclair for 2.0. After trying eclair and it only saying the number that someone is calling from, I use 1.6 version (Donut). This actually looks at my contact list and tells me who is calling out loud, so i can decide if I want to pick up or not. Very useful if your hands are full. This supports calls as well as texts, and you can customize what you want to program to say. If there is no username in your contacts list, then it will just tell you the number that the call is from. Very nice app and now I don't use a ringtone.

Edit: There is now one version for all to use now called "SayMyName Dessert". For Android 2 and up, go into the program and click on "Donut Contacts" to get it to actually say the name of the person in your contacts list.

M

M1dnite

I wanted to let people know of a great app as I have not seen mentioned before called SayMyName. There are three versions, original for 1.5, donut for 1.6, and eclair for 2.0. After trying eclair and it only saying the number that someone is calling from, I use 1.6 version (Donut). This actually looks at my contact list and tells me who is calling out loud, so i can decide if I want to pick up or not. Very useful if your hands are full. This supports calls as well as texts, and you can customize what you want to program to say. If there is no username in your contacts list, then it will just tell you the number that the call is from. Very nice app and now I don't use a ringtone.

Thanks I'll try it out!

ntice

Reaction score
omg thank you so much I have been looking all over the internet for the difference between versions as all donut says is it is for 1.6 and eclair says nothing (and also has a lower rating).
thanks for clearing up my confusion!!!

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
Say my name has changed, and this now makes it easier for all to use just one program. There are no longer three different versions in the marketplace, but one, called SayMyName Dessert. This should work for all versions, with a little tweeking. In order to get Android 2.0 and up working again, you need to click on the "Donut Contacts" check box in order to start reading names again. It now also supports reading emails with K-9 email client. Hope this helps anyone having issues again with this great TTS (Text To Speech) program.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
So, is this like instead of a ringtone? or what?

You can also use a ringtone if you want with a short delay, but I don't. No need to have a ringtone go off that will interfere with the program saying who is calling me if they have a really long name (it is a delay from when the program starts speaking the persons name). Really nice to have when in a meeting or in a car and are waiting for a call from someone specific.

OpalCat

Reaction score
Without a ringtone I'd be afraid I wouldn't hear it right away and miss the call... so you can have it say the name and then start ringing after a delay? (I work from home so meetings aren't a problem)

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
Yup, you can have it start to ring, or, you can have it repeat itself, or both

OpalCat

Reaction score
heh... that could get hilarious. If my mom called, it would be like an annoying little kid: "mom! mom! mom! mom! mom!'

I think I'll check it out, thanks!

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
np, I use it for everything I can now, so does my coworker (I find everything he uses, but we are both IT/network admins).

sherylhs

Reaction score
heh... that could get hilarious. If my mom called, it would be like an annoying little kid: "mom! mom! mom! mom! mom!'

I think I'll check it out, thanks!

hehehe
That's EXACTLY what it does.

I have my husband programmed as "Hubby" and it sounds like it's saying Huggy, makes me laugh everytime.

~S

OpalCat

Reaction score
It says to silence the ringer, but I didn't do that because I wanted both... but when I got a call, I only hear the voice, not my ringer. :(

OpalCat

Reaction score
Oh, one funny thing happened. It was set to say only the first word of a name, and my doctor's office called me. It shows up as "Dr. Lastname" and so the app just read "Dr."...

So I'm sitting there when they call and suddenly my phone starts saying:

"Drive. Drive. Drive."

sherylhs

Reaction score
It says to silence the ringer, but I didn't do that because I wanted both... but when I got a call, I only hear the voice, not my ringer. :(

That's odd, on mine I hear the ringer first and then the name of the caller. In fact once in a while after I answer a call it will say the name one more time. I have no idea if the person on the other end of the phone hears it... but I sure do since it's up to my ear at that point.

Jeez, I just noticed the new version even says the name of my emails. Holy moley.

OP
Purgatory

Purgatory

Reaction score
we had no problems with the ringtone being delayed in the SayCaller Settings and Repeat timeout of 2. This was on the old version however. Of course make sure that the Silent Ringtone box is unchecked if you want a ringer under external tweeks