say "google" to launch voice search

smfoley1

Reaction score
so I noticed this setting on my phone and it is checked but when I say "google" nothing happens...
The setting is found when you touch the google search box and it brings up your cards etc. sroll all the way down and touch the three dots in the bottom right corner. settings>voice

I thought it might be that feature we are seeing touted for the Motorola X but it doesnt seem to work at all...anyone know anything about this?

jimmythegent

Reaction score
so I noticed this setting on my phone and it is checked but when I say "google" nothing happens...
The setting is found when you touch the google search box and it brings up your cards etc. sroll all the way down and touch the three dots in the bottom right corner. settings>voice

I thought it might be that feature we are seeing touted for the Motorola X but it doesnt seem to work at all...anyone know anything about this?

Common problem. Happens to me all the time very frustrating

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Can you be more specific? What "google search box" is it that you are hitting? I get the prompt to "search or say Google" in the top of the Google Now window when I either hit the Google search icon (apps tray), or when I hit the Google search Widget from the main screen. It may be that you didn't activate Google now?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

The way I understand it is, the voice activated Google search is only available on the Moto X and new Droid line, which have an active listening feature. On other phones, like yours, you have to manually open Google Search or Google Now, then you can say "Google" and speak your search command. Hope that helps answer your question.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There should be a microphone on the Gogle search bar or on some keyboards that will also activate it if Google Now has been enabled.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There should be a microphone on the Gogle search bar or on some keyboards that will also activate it if Google Now has been enabled.

True, but correct me if I am wrong here, leeshor. You still have to push the microphone button first, before you can speak commands & searches? I thought the OP was asking if the Razr HD can be totally voice activated like the Moto X.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
True, but correct me if I am wrong here, leeshor. You still have to push the microphone button first, before you can speak commands & searches? I thought the OP was asking if the Razr HD can be totally voice activated like the Moto X.

You are correct. I was just offering an alternative. I have so many of the Google Now features turned off there may still be a way but maybe not.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You are correct. I was just offering an alternative. I have so many of the Google Now features turned off there may still be a way but maybe not.

Thanks leeshor. I also have a lot of the Google Now features & cards disabled, use it just for basic voice searches. I don't think there is any way for phones other than the Moto X & new Droid's to open the search feature by voice commands alone. I think we have to open Google search manually (using any of the available options), then we can voice search. From what I have read, the newer phones have a chip dedicated to ''active listening" and are always listening for the "OK, Google" command. I am pretty sure the Razr line does not have that technology. Yet??? Maybe we will see it eventually?

If this information is incorrect, someone please let me know.

OP
S

smfoley1

Reaction score
The way I understand it is, the voice activated Google search is only available on the Moto X and new Droid line, which have an active listening feature. On other phones, like yours, you have to manually open Google Search or Google Now, then you can say "Google" and speak your search command. Hope that helps answer your question.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yes this is correct..took a few minutes to figure it out but this is exactly how it works on the Razr's....