Say GoodBye To Some Future Root Methods!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Every time I get an update on my Xperia Z3 phone or Xperia Z2 tablet I use custom tools to add root to the update before flashing it. :cool:
Now there's something I'd love to know how to do!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can understand your frustration, however having been privy to some inside information I'm well aware of the problems that rooted devices can cause a network when running custom roms or after deleting or deactivating crucial system services, and the expense that the network incurrs in dealing with those problems...

I don't see any difference between this and people being stupid with deleting files in the Windows, System, or System32 directories. The only difference I see is Verizon doesn't usually charge for technical support while Microsoft does. On the other hand, the Verizon technical support people (in my all-the-way-back-to-Alltel experience) typically don't know the power button from the battery.

I'm also not sure how the rooting community can simultaneously be so small that our strong preferences/desires have no influence on the carriers AND YET cause so many problems on the networks that they need to be protected from the subgroup of rooters that have no idea what they're doing.

I think you kind of have to pick one or the other. ;)

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
While I doubt Ben Franklin had mobile devices and rooting in mind, I still think his quote fits: “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
Benjamin Franklin

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can understand your frustration, however having been privy to some inside information I'm well aware of the problems that rooted devices can cause a network when running custom roms or after deleting or deactivating crucial system services, and the expense that the network incurrs in dealing with those problems.

For instance, often times when a rooted device won't communicate on the network any longer the owner may believe there's a problem with the network so they get on the phone and call customer service and tech support and tie up the lines and utilize support resources for a problem that was actually built into the custom ROM or created by the user messing around with system files. Those added costs for support that wasn't necessary increase the cost for cellular service for everyone including me. If I choose not to root my phone I don't believe I should have to subsidize tech support costs for users somebody that did and that result in a request for tech support that wasn't necessary or warranted.

Also the analogy of a laptop not being able to run the user's choice of operating systems isn't really a proper analogy when compared to a cellular telephone. The main differentiation between the two is that the cellular telephone depends upon the cellular network to communicate and the network also depends upon the cell phone to operate in a specific fashion so the communications will take place. With a laptop you don't have those issues. There are standards that the laptops utilize for WiFi and Bluetooth, and other than that the laptop operates essentially completely on its own.
I see your point but think if a carriers is making that argument then that is a weak one.
First, the number of people that still care about root has shrunk to 5% of the 1% that rooted and rom back in the day.

2) if there ever was a time to be vigilant about root it would have been back in the early days of Android where there were all kinds of holes. Now the operating system is more secured even for those who do root.

3) At&t is not worrying about it and they have more to deal with. Don't get me wrong they are about as passionate about locking bootloaders as Verizon but you have options to buy devices that can be rooted.

4) as much as Google huff and puff for the carriers they know their customer base for nexus devices. We will still be able to unlock the bootloader and flash root.

Look if certain manufacturers want to lock their flagship devices from root I disagree but understand. These devices are a lot of money and manufacturers and carriers want to make sure the devices being exchanged was because of a device flaw. But I have to go back to the part of 5% of the 1% are still rooting and of that number maybe a half of a percent brick their phones to where it can not be recovered. Verizon bricked more phones than that kicking out bad otas.

For those that root is important buy a nexus or one of these developer phones out there. @Jeffrey did an awesome review on the elephone and I am definitely eying one for a possible developer device. It's 200 bucks and if something happens I still have my primary device.

We have options guys so let's take advantage... Correction, those of us on T-Mobile and AT&T have options. Sorry Sprint and Verizon customers.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
We have options guys so let's take advantage... Correction, those of us on T-Mobile and AT&T have options. Sorry Sprint and Verizon customers.

Those "options" are trending toward phablet size. I'll NEVER go bigger than my 5.2" Turbo (and actually look forward to a smaller, more powerful device coming out...if ever).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Those "options" are trending toward phablet size. I'll NEVER go bigger than my 5.2" Turbo (and actually look forward to a smaller, more powerful device coming out...if ever).
You still have the nexus 5.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
I'm actually pretty happy with kitkat....I have almost no need for root, nor do over 95% of users. Glad I no longer waste time tinkering with flashing.

But for us 5% with VZ unlimited plans... (or the 5+ million downloads of Titanium Backup)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But for us 5% with VZ unlimited plans... (or the 5+ million downloads of Titanium Backup)

Yeah, but I think every time you flash and download apps again it's counting the downloads...so that "5M+" could be more like 500k+....it's downloads, not users (unless Google changed things).