Saving apps to SD card

CheathamHill

Reaction score
Since Froyo adds the ability to save apps/games to the sd card...well..how do I do that..the market doesn't give that as an option...just lists that several of my apps have the ability to do that...forgive my 'newb' ignorance

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since Froyo adds the ability to save apps/games to the sd card...well..how do I do that..the market doesn't give that as an option...just lists that several of my apps have the ability to do that...forgive my 'newb' ignorance

There is an app in the Market called Apps 2 SD. I personally think it's garbage.

The other way to do it, the way i'm doing it is to use terminal emulator (also in the market) and type in the following commands:

su (enter)
cd /system/bin (enter)
sh pm setInstallLocation 2 (enter)

That will change the grey on several off your apps to white. Do not move widgets to the SD card. You will have issues with them if you do that.

pool_shark

Reaction score

There is an app in the Market called Apps 2 SD. I personally think it's garbage.

The other way to do it, the way i'm doing it is to use terminal emulator (also in the market) and type in the following commands:

su (enter)
cd /system/bin (enter)

That will change the grey on several off your apps to white. Do not move widgets to the SD card. You will have issues with them if you do that.

I can't get terminal emulator to install. There is also a android terminal emulator, which one specifically?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

su (enter)
cd /system/bin (enter)

I can't get terminal emulator to install. There is also a android terminal emulator, which one specifically?

Apparently I'm using android terminal emulator.

I just had a thought though, maybe it won't work unless you're rooted. I doesn't say so.

pool_shark

Reaction score

su (enter)
cd /system/bin (enter)

Apparently I'm using android terminal emulator.

I just had a thought though, maybe it won't work unless you're rooted. I doesn't say so.

That one installed fine, but su is denied.

kevroc

Reaction score
From manage applications can't you select to move it from there? I don't have mine handy but that's what I recall from the video.

pool_shark

Reaction score
From manage applications can't you select to move it from there? I don't have mine handy but that's what I recall from the video.

There is an option for that in manage applications. I only have 1 app downloaded (no lock), the move to sd card option is greyed out.

EDIT:

I downloaded Dolphin HD and was able to move that to the SD card from manage applications.

Last edited:

tayhan

Reaction score
I know just before you click download the app if you scroll down it said something about saving to your SD card but when I make sure it says save to SD card it doesn't send it there..I don't want my phone to be full of apps so how do I make sure it sends the app to the right place?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ruck0loc0

Reaction score
App2sd in the market

Hiker5208

Reaction score
Just be aware that you don't want to put apps that have a widget on the SD card. The widget for the app will disappear. This is an Android limitation at this time. Otherwise you won't even notice the difference.

TatDroid

Reaction score
In the Bionic's case you do NOT want to move anything to SD card (actually the "media area" on the Bionic). Internal memory is partitioned so that 4GB of space is reserved for apps. Further, it cannot be accessed to use for anything but app storage - so by not using that area you're actually wasting memory space.

4GB is a huge amount of space for app storage. Don't worry about filling it up any time soon. This ain't no OG Droid!

Batman8

Reaction score
I know just before you click download the app if you scroll down it said something about saving to your SD card but when I make sure it says save to SD card it doesn't send it there..I don't want my phone to be full of apps so how do I make sure it sends the app to the right place?

I have had this discussion with Verizon AND Motorola many times because this is one of the few things that I absolutely HATE about my Bionic and the new partitioned memory that it seems the newer devices will be using these days. Unfortunately at this time YOU CAN NOT actually move your apps to your "real"/external memory card. All of those "apps to SD" type of applications will move small parts of the app over to the "media" portion of your internal memory but NOTHING THAT I'VE SEEN ANYWHERE WILL ACTUALLY "MOVE" THE ENTIRE APP OR IT'S DATA FOLDER TO THE EXTERNAL MEMORY CARD, and from what Motorola Level 3 Support keeps telling me...it won't be possible until ICS really gets rolled out AND then developers start to include an option to place apps "DATA FOLDERS" onto the external SD card.

This has been driving me nuts since I bought my Bionic last September and noticed right away that I had no room to place all the extremely large data folders that many HD games require these days (especially many Gameloft games). Some of the data folders for such games as Backstab, 9MM, GTA3, Asphalt 6, Street Fighter IV and so on, all have data folders that are close to 1GB or larger! Therefore you will obviously run out of storage space very quickly when restricted to the Bionic's 8GB of space used for app storage (when before I had 32GB of storage to work with from my external 32GB memory card that I was using in my old Droid-X).

This REALLY pisses me off that my newer Bionic has one-forth of the storage space for application data that my older Droid-X had to work with!!!! It is surely my biggest gripe with this phone (other than data connection issues), and I hope it is resolved SOON, because I had to really narrow down what I could fit onto my Bionic and I find myself having to clear things off the phone almost everyday to make room for new stuff, which should NOT be the case when I have such a large memory card!

I can't wait for this CRAP to finally get worked out so I can carry as many apps and games as I want, or at least as many as I used to be able to carry on my 32GB micro SD. What even more so burns me up is that earlier last year I had asked numerous folks at both Verizon AND Motorola if there would be any issues like this if upgrading to the Bionic from my DX and of course they all easily said "there will be no problems at all"...which was not quite the truth as I'm finding out.

The other day I bought the new 64GB Micro SD from Sandisk which I really just use for my tons of movies and music now, in hopes that one day soon I can actually store my application data there as well. COME ON ICE CREAM SANDWICH!!!!

Jack Flash

Reaction score
I am also disgusted at this downgrade issue. Came from D1 which had install to micro sd. I was shocked to find this issue on Bionic..

This is retarded..