Saving apps to SD card

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
I had a D2 and could've sworn I was able to save all my apps to the sd card and I I've noticed with my new DX I can't. any suggestions? Or is this something that will come with a later update?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a D2 and could've sworn I was able to save all my apps to the sd card and I I've noticed with my new DX I can't. any suggestions? Or is this something that will come with a later update?

D2 and the X are pretty much the same. Best way to change this and send more apps to the SD card is by rooting. Once I rooted quite a few of the greyed out applications became active and I was able to move them.

OP
C

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
I tried rooting and failed miserably and bricked the phone. Im not ready to try rooting again but I appreciate the advice.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I tried rooting and failed miserably and bricked the phone. Im not ready to try rooting again but I appreciate the advice.

Would you mind elaborating a little bit? Unless you have no desire to try and root again. It is unlikely to brick the device just by trying to root. How did you get the device un-bricked after the so called bricking?

OP
C

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
I didn't follow the steps and deleted the backed file by mistake from from sd card. It would only boot to the moto screen. I took the phone to Verizon and they replaced it fortunately. I own a mac so of course it doesn't recognize anything but iphones. I have z4root, bootstrap and rom manger.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
I didn't follow the steps and deleted the backed file by mistake from from sd card. It would only boot to the moto screen. I took the phone to Verizon and they replaced it fortunately. I own a mac so of course it doesn't recognize anything but iphones. I have z4root, bootstrap and rom manger.

What method did you use to originally try and root, like what steps did you not follow? What did you delete, the backup after you rooted the first time? Yeah macs are not good friends of our lovely android devices. Have you tried rooting using z4root? Did you use this the first time? I have had great success with z4root, I actually rooted two of my cousins phones for them over the holiday (Droid X, Samsung Fascinate). Sounds like you are on the right track if you plan on rooting again. Use z4root, let it do its thing, install ROM manager, flash ClockworkMod Recovery, install Koush's Droid X Bootstrapper, bootstrap recovery, then reboot into recovery, and make a backup. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. ROM manager is ok, but it doesn't always do what I tell it to do, so I have just been doing everything from recovery. Why did you try rooting the first time? Are you just looking for free Wireless Tether or are you planning on coming over to the dark side and installing ROMs and theming this beast out? I highly suggest before you try and follow my bare bones tutorial above that you read, google search, then read more, then read again, then sleep, and then read some more about rooting and eveything involved after you have successfully rooted. It is great, but you need to be fully prepared.

OP
C

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
Its funny because when I had the D1 I successfully rooted that using rom manager and was using smoked glass. I know I can do it again, I just need to take my time and follow the steps. I am not sure what the benefit of rooting really is other than wifi tethering. Im still searching for the major benefits.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mac certainly does recognize the Droid. On your X you use the pull down window and put it on mass storage after hooking up your USB to the Mac. On the right side you will see what looks like a drive that says "No Name." That is your SD card.

I've installed .apk files by dropping them in there with my Mac. There are even methods to root with your Mac. Heck, they are both linux based systems. I see more problems with people getting PC's to recognize their Droids then Macs. I've even Installed new OS's by using my Mac.

Just an FYI, iPhones and o{ads are actually managed by iTunes, which is how PC people are able to upgrade and back up their equipment.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its funny because when I had the D1 I successfully rooted that using rom manager and was using smoked glass. I know I can do it again, I just need to take my time and follow the steps. I am not sure what the benefit of rooting really is other than wifi tethering. Im still searching for the major benefits.

For most it's the ability to install Custom ROMs. For me I use it to overclock my D2, and it allows me a selection of applications that I ordinarily couldn't get. One of the most important ones is Root Explorer which allows me to delete bloatware. CacheMate is a paid app that will clean all your apps with a single tap on the screen. Can't do that stock. Another app I lke is quick boot, I don't use it like I did with my D1 but it allows you to boot into recovery without having to hold down the buttons. It will also do a quick reboot if you need that.

More freedom to access different features of your phone. I never encourage anyone to root, that's a personal decision but there are some things you just can't do unless you do root.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your original question was about saving apps to the sd card. You most certainly can with the Droid X. As long as you are running Android version 2.2
Rooting your phone isn't what makes it possible to move your apps to the sd card.
It all depends if the developer of the app has enabled the feature within the app itself.

Menu button-->Settings-->Applications-->Manage applications. Select the app you want to move to the SD card...there will be a button stating "Move to SD card"
If the button isn't active, then the app isn't currently able to be moved.
If none your apps can be moved, or you don't see that button available, then you either have a serious issue with the phone itself, or you are running the older Android 2.1

OP
C

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
I did the z4root then bootstrap recovery then I flashed clockworkmod. After this step is where I messed up and cleared the sd of something important. I remember deleting the clockworkmod folder while in super manager and I realized that was my mistake after I rebooted to recovery. There was nothing to restore after I deleted the file.

OP
C

ColdAsIce56

Reaction score
I do want to root again. I just don't want to brick another phone.