1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sapphire 0.8.4 and google apps help?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by aggiechase37, Jul 17, 2010.

1. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

Just rooted my phone and installed sapphire 0.8.4 for the very first time. But on their site it looks like they make you install google apps separately? How do you do that? Can't find instructions anywhere! Please help!
  2. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

If in sprecovery, rename the Gapps to update.zip and install just like you installed the ROM - choose install, then allow update.zip, then install update.zip (deprecated). Be sure to rename the main ROM back to something other than update.zip, or else you will have 2 update.zip files.

If in clockwork, select install from sd card, then choose the Gapps file.
  3. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

Ok. I'll try it. I think I have sp recovery. I followed the droid-life.com rooting guide. Trying it now. And thanks in advance!
  4. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

Looks like it worked. You rock! Thanks again!
  5. markwebb

markwebb New Member

This didn't work for me. In fact, I even "wiped" 3x. Sapphire would install flawlessly, but when I updated to the Gapps file (renaming it update.zip), it would re-boot normally and I would be presented with the Green Android to continue. It wouldn't move past that screen, despite how many times I tapped on that android even after allowing the "google" warning and changing to english language. :(
  6. brochaos

brochaos New Member

i wiped 4x, installed sapphire as update.zip, connected the usb to my pc, mounted USB, renamed gapps to update.zip, and then immediatelly installed it. never rebooted the phone or left SPR at any point between the two. it worked flawlesslly.
  7. markwebb

markwebb New Member

When you updated to the gapps file, did your phone reboot to the green android page?
  8. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

You don't want to wipe between installing the main ROM and the Gapps. I'm not sure if you did, but that could be the problem.
  9. markwebb

markwebb New Member

No, I didn't. Poor sentence structure. I wiped before I installed Sapphire but did NOT when installing Gapps. In fact, I downloaded the Gapps file a few times thinking the download was corrupt. Tried quite a few times to install but no go. :(
  10. serveitup911

serveitup911 New Member

Hmm, sorry I can't help you then :-(
    Hopefully someone smarter than me knows what is happening with your install and can help you get it working.
  11. yourbrokenoven

yourbrokenoven New Member

Same problem. I got to the green android. I pressed on him a dozen times, but nothing happened. So I skipped, but now I can't figure out how to get back to the green android to try to activate again. I've tried rebooting, I've tried reinstalling the google apps over again. I'm updating from 0.7.0 where most things were working fine.

unless others have successfully installed the google apps, my guess is that this file is packaged incorrectly.
  12. yourbrokenoven

yourbrokenoven New Member

I wiped, redownloaded the gapps-update.zip from the mirror instead this time, and then installed again. Everything's fine. Strange.... The main file must be corrupt.
Search tags for this page

gapps 0.8.4