Sans-Activation

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by banana989, Nov 9, 2009.

1. banana989

banana989 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm an Android developer and would like to test my builds on a physical Droid. Does anybody know how to get around the "required" activation via VZW? I am 100% fine with just using WiFi.

2. otaku

otaku Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Touch the upper corner of the screen in this order:

Upper-left
    Upper-right
    Lower-right
    Lower-left

Should be clockwise from upper-left. I have tested this on two phones and it works.

3. banana989

banana989 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is huge! Thanks for letting me in on this little known secret. I thought you were messing with me at first =)

4. lulu024

lulu024 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks ... you've no idea. :*

5. SoonerDude

SoonerDude New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the GPS will work without activating the phone first? My buddy wants to buy a Droid 1 from ebay to use as an wifi Internet/GPS device, he likes it better than the ipod touch he has for those types of things, but he doesn't want to spend the money first without knowing the GPS will work, I've already confirmed in another forum that the wifi and market will work, just can't get a positive answer on the GPS.

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am fairly confident that GPS will NOT work. Here's my test:
    1). Turn off GPS and put phone into airplane mode
    2). Turn on ONLY the GPS (while still in airplane mode)
    3). Wait for it to get a location fix
    4). Keep waiting. It will actually NEVER get a fix until you take it out of airplane mode.
    5). As soon as you take it out of airplane mode, it will be able to get a GPS fix. Even if there is ZERO signal.
    6). Once it has a fix, you can put it back into airplane mode, and the GPS will continue to function.

I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind this behavior. I have some theories:
    1). It seems that it will first try to get an approximate location with the cell radio, and then hand that off to the GPS radio. If it's in airplane mode, the system doesn't no to skip that first step, so it just waits indefinitely for location before starting.
    2). Alternatively, the GPS and cell radio could be on the same chip or sharing some components - turning one off may disable the other. This doesn't make sense, though, because once you get the original "fix", you can then put the phone into airplane mode and it will continue tracking as long as you want.

I am not sure what the internal difference is between a non-activated phone and a phone that is in airplane mode. Maybe it will work fine, or maybe it will have the same results that I saw.

Another comment I have - Using the Droid as a GPS navigation device (using google maps/navigation) *REQUIRES* a live data connection while mapping. You can sort of get it to continue navigating when data is lost, but if you leave your planned route or cancel navigation, you cannot re-route or continue the navigation without data.

7. SoonerDude

SoonerDude New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for your reply. I don't think he wants to use it for the Google Nav, but mainly for things that quickly access the GPS for current location, like the Facebook Places on touch.facebook.com, etc.

8. lulu024

lulu024 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My beloved Droid is a "wifi device" and yes, the GPS works, but it requires you to be out of airplane mode. WiFi works with airplane mode on, but GPS has to have the transmitters on. I'm looking into the programs on market that support offline maps previously saved on the SD, but that is a different topic.

best of use

9. Dragan

Dragan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I must be stupid or just have some really fat fingers, as I can't get this to happen. Is this done on the screen where you are supposed to tap the android or the screen after that?

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. Dragan

Dragan New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing it up !

12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings: