SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick Aims to Alleviate Your Abandoned microSD Slot Woes

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
+1

And also this is just one forum... This forum has a membership of some 300,000 last I checked. There are literally at the minimum hundreds of forums like it, possibly thousands if you add in all the manufacturers forums, and the magazine and other review forums. I believe your estimate of us being a fraction of 1% may be slightly short of the true percentage of people on forums for Android phones.

I thought I pretty much destroyed the "less than 1%" argument multiple times. But some people, who apparently own little content, keep clinging to irrational and illogical arguments when the reason for no SD is clearly a money grab.

I mean, the best way to show that people don't want 4WD would be to stop making 4WD cars and trucks....and that's literally how ignorant this argument has become.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1

And also this is just one forum... This forum has a membership of some 300,000 last I checked. There are literally at the minimum hundreds of forums like it, possibly thousands if you add in all the manufacturers forums, and the magazine and other review forums. I believe your estimate of us being a fraction of 1% may be slightly short of the true percentage of people on forums for Android phones.

Still and more importantly as these phones get higher and higher resolution cameras, as people buy more and more music and video content in their phones, as the mass of sites data becomes a greater and greater part of our everyday lives the need for a safe, secure, resident and removable archival backup system becomes more and more relevant and necessary.

Backups will not go away for a very long time IMHO, not until someone invents and perfects a storage method that is infallible, ultra fast, encrypted but with a safe way to recover and reverse that encryption, and dirt cheap. It may be a hologram type storage that either is about to be, or already has been invented but not yet perfected, or some other as yet unknown method.

Until then, removable SD cards are the most efficient system available. We now have cards that are fingernail in size and which can hold now upto an incredible 200GB ( 200GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I card Premium Edition and can deliver that data instantaneously at an amazing 90MB/s. There isn't a Wi-Fi or USB storage device or there that can come close. Even the far less impressive 128GB and 64GB cards are still mind-blowing in their own right.

I don't like that manufacturers have moved away from removable storage, especially since most plans now are based on pay as you go Data and cloud storage is really the only other similarly convenient method of storage.

Dude, plug your phone into your PC and back stuff up, just as Apple has done for 7 years.

This isn't rocket science. If manufacturers really thought that lack of an SD slot would hurt sales, they wouldn't do it.

But Apple, and now Moto and Sammie have shown that it is not the case. The average consumer, which most of us here are NOT, doesn't really know about or care about an SD slot.

You are describing how you THINK things should be, when the reality is clearly the opposite. SD is going the way of the Dodo...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought I pretty much destroyed the "less than 1%" argument multiple times. But some people, who apparently own little content, keep clinging to irrational and illogical arguments when the reason for no SD is clearly a money grab.

I mean, the best way to show that people don't want 4WD would be to stop making 4WD cars and trucks....and that's literally how ignorant this argument has become.

Except there is huge demand for 4WD in many areas, which is why they not only keep making them, but they even offer it in sedans that you wouldn't expect to see it.

I have a lot of content. Many TB worth of files, music, videos, tv shows, DVD rips, etc...

Do you think that the average person has 100 apps installed?

Do you think that the average user has 5,000 photos that they need to carry with them at all times?

Nope. Like I said, talk to someone who works in a VZW store and ask them what the average person walking in the door wants, needs and buys.

If what you said was true, then there would be no iPhone, it would have died off. If what you say is true, then you would not see other phones leaving SD behind.

Yes, they charge more for the devices for the higher storage options... Apple has done it that way for the better part of a decade.

Let me ask you this...

How much "content" do you have on your phone, and how much of it is there simply because you have the space?

It's a phone. It can be more, but there is a difference between having a lot of content because you actually have a need and a use for it, and just being a digital hoarder because "it's there"...

I copy my phone stuff off to my PC periodically. Why? Because whether I have an SD card slot or not, I don't need every picture I have taken since 2007 to be in my pocket at all times. Additionally, if I drop my phone in the toilet, or I lose it or it is stolen, it won't matter if I have my stuff on an SD card. In fact, at least if my Nexus 6 is stolen, they cannot easily get to my stuff because it is password protected. If all my personal stuff is on an SD card, anyone who grabs my phone can pop the card out and get to it with ease...

I think this is more of a case of people getting used to having something, where they may not even truly need it, but like knowing it is there, and having it "taken away"...

I was one of them. You act as if I don't know the story here... I have over 100GB of music, some 23,000 or so songs... The thought of having that entire library of music in my pocket sounds great. The reality though, is that I don't need 23,000 songs. Trying to find what I want, needing such storage requirements, when you really will never listen to 98% of those songs, doesn't make sense, So I put a few hundred of my favorite songs on there... And so on 7 or 8 phones over a several year period, I found that I had a 64GB MicroSD card with just a couple GB on it...

I guess that if you live with your nose buried in your phone, maybe you need every file you own with you at all times...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of other threads about the merits and/need for built in expandable memory. Let's get back on the original topic please about a new technology that could be useful to those that have expandable memory as well as those that don't. With this little stick I can video my daughter's swim races, move it to the card and stream it to my 10" tablet to show my wife , other daughters, and mother in law or send it to their devices should they want a copy. As it is now with plug in ones if we want to make 3 copies to 3 devices we have to do them 1 at a time. With this we can make 3 copies at once is another perk for those that like to back up their stuff to their hard drive and other sources. I know with my Wi-Fi SD card in my camera it's very convenient to do multiple backups at once . I think battery life will make or break this idea and if the battery life is stellar perhaps the next generation might have key ring mount ability, making it even better. I already keep a flash drive on my key ring and an otg cable in my truck for sharing stuff with friends that aren't as technology proficient as I am that might want a copy of a song or file I've got with me. To eliminate the cord would be stellar for them and myself. An app doing the work of a cord is a good thing imo.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but this device/tech isn't new. Such devices have been around for awhile now, having come from the Apple world where there is no expandable storage... I considered one for my iPad...

Kingston makes a nice one... a small box the size of a pack of playing cards, that has Wifi built in and you can pop in SD cards for extra storage, it can share and even stream video and pictures to multiple devices, and it can work as a battery booster to your device and charge it up when it runs low...

Amazon.com Kingston Digital 5-in-1 Mobile Companion Expanded Storage 4640 mAh Battery Charger and more for iOS and Android devices MLWG2 Computers Accessories

$30.

• Extend your storage up to 2TB using USB flash drives, SD cards, or microSD cards
  • 4640 mAh battery allows you to charge your smartphone up to 2X
  • Stream movies, listen to music, and view different photos on multiple mobile devices simultaneously
  • Backup photos and videos from your camera roll to free up space
  • Read SD cards and USB flash drives from your mobile device or your PC
  • Create a Wi-Fi hotspot from a wired Internet connection

It isn't key ring size, but hell, it does everything including simultaneous streaming and even a Wifi hotspot when you plug it into a LAN... For $30, that's awesome.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks to mbm for getting us all back on track. And thanks for expanding on the capabilities of this device. The idea that this wifi flash drive can make multiple copies to multiple devices at once is a huge seller to me. And I bet as these convenient little items become more available by more manufacturers, we will see the price come down. The small size factor is a win also making it very easy to carry in your pocket.

And thanks @SquireSCA, that device is really cool. The technology of wifi storage may have been around for a little while but it is new to me as it is to probably many. That device would solve the lack of both the removable battery and sd card slot for many. I can definitely see me buying one of those. It would be a convenient replacement to my current battery pack with added extras.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but this device/tech isn't new. Such devices have been around for awhile now, having come from the Apple world where there is no expandable storage... I considered one for my iPad...

Kingston makes a nice one... a small box the size of a pack of playing cards, that has Wifi built in and you can pop in SD cards for extra storage, it can share and even stream video and pictures to multiple devices, and it can work as a battery booster to your device and charge it up when it runs low...

Amazon.com Kingston Digital 5-in-1 Mobile Companion Expanded Storage 4640 mAh Battery Charger and more for iOS and Android devices MLWG2 Computers Accessories

$30.

• Extend your storage up to 2TB using USB flash drives, SD cards, or microSD cards
  • 4640 mAh battery allows you to charge your smartphone up to 2X
  • Stream movies, listen to music, and view different photos on multiple mobile devices simultaneously
  • Backup photos and videos from your camera roll to free up space
  • Read SD cards and USB flash drives from your mobile device or your PC
  • Create a Wi-Fi hotspot from a wired Internet connection

It isn't key ring size, but hell, it does everything including simultaneous streaming and even a Wifi hotspot when you plug it into a LAN... For $30, that's awesome.
I agree the tech isn't new, I've had a Wi-Fi SD card for going on 3 years, but it has possibly moved from niche status to mainstream finally. Yes we're used to getting a gazillion GBs for $2 on SD cards and flash drives (obvious sarcasm) but I believe trickle down technology will begin to affect prices on these little things as they get more press, such as this forum, and exposure as users find out about them and begin to use them. A few posts back someone mentioned portable batteries in conjunction and look how their prices have free fallen in the last 12 months. I even got a high fallutin' 3 panel solar charger that'll quickly charge my ancient power hungry tablet for under $30 recently.
It might not be new but it's a win for the consumer, regardless of why.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4